Cold and unhappy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddha,
When you get out of the water how dry is the outside of your undersuit?

I use a Santi BZ400 and I always end up with some condensation. What I do is to keep the Emotion unzipped until I'm ready to get in the water as I have found this helps to keep the condensation down and BTW the BZ400 is a superb undersuit I'd recommend.

I'm never ever toasty but I find the miserable quota is determined mostly by how cold my feet get.

For feet I use 4th Element Arctic socks as I find these warm and comfortable - I use wet gloves so can't comment on drygloves.

The other question I'd ask is : Are you cold before you start diving? If yes perhaps a warm cup of soup/choccy might help :) even if you're not cold it'll warm the spirits :)

Now, before buying anything really expensive; What kind of hood do you use?

If you get easily cold, you should use the thickest hood that you can get your hands on.

Nothing cools you down like a cold hood!

Well here is what I have found that works for me. In 50F degree water I can do hour long dives in my half worn out Bare hi-loft undergarment (200 gram as I recall) and be comfortable. Much lower than 50F and I get chilly towards the end. Colder than 50F I use my Thermal Fusion with a base layer similar to heavy UA and I'm good to around 40F, much lower and I'm chilly after around 40 min. The part that sucks is it all depends on the diver and everyone's cold tolerance is different. I know some people that are skin and bones but are comfortable sitting in a tree stand in 0F weather not moving at all for eight straight hours waiting for a deer to stroll on by. On the other hand I know some people that weigh in the mid 250's that are cold when the weather drops to 50F. I will agree with the above poster about the hood. If I were you I would look into the Otter Bay 12mm custom hood also known as the "neoprene helmet".

Buddha,
When you get out of the water how dry is the outside of your undersuit?

I use a Santi BZ400 and I always end up with some condensation. What I do is to keep the Emotion unzipped until I'm ready to get in the water as I have found this helps to keep the condensation down and BTW the BZ400 is a superb undersuit I'd recommend.

I'm never ever toasty but I find the miserable quota is determined mostly by how cold my feet get.

For feet I use 4th Element Arctic socks as I find these warm and comfortable - I use wet gloves so can't comment on drygloves.

The other question I'd ask is : Are you cold before you start diving? If yes perhaps a warm cup of soup/choccy might help :) even if you're not cold it'll warm the spirits :)

Yes, I can certainly feel the dampness on the outside of my undergarment. I'll try as you suggest and not zip up until I'm about to get in.

I am very warm bordering on hot before I go diving as I wear all my undergarments, down jacket, hat and gloves on my way to dive site. Cheers.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 09:53 AM ----------

at 116 pounds of skin and bone you have a mamouth task for long warm dives in cold water.

Whales,Seals and Penguins etc have it more sorted .

Eat more donuts.

The FT is around $450 so I'm guessing that's around 450 donuts, could work.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 09:55 AM ----------

Well here is what I have found that works for me. In 50F degree water I can do hour long dives in my half worn out Bare hi-loft undergarment (200 gram as I recall) and be comfortable. Much lower than 50F and I get chilly towards the end. Colder than 50F I use my Thermal Fusion with a base layer similar to heavy UA and I'm good to around 40F, much lower and I'm chilly after around 40 min. The part that sucks is it all depends on the diver and everyone's cold tolerance is different. I know some people that are skin and bones but are comfortable sitting in a tree stand in 0F weather not moving at all for eight straight hours waiting for a deer to stroll on by. On the other hand I know some people that weigh in the mid 250's that are cold when the weather drops to 50F. I will agree with the above poster about the hood. If I were you I would look into the Otter Bay 12mm custom hood also known as the "neoprene helmet".

I wear a waterproof 5/10 hood. I don't feel the cold on my head at all if that means anything.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 09:56 AM ----------

Now, before buying anything really expensive; What kind of hood do you use?

If you get easily cold, you should use the thickest hood that you can get your hands on.

Nothing cools you down like a cold hood!

A waterproof 5/10 hood.

Well, then you will just have to start lifting weights, and add another layer, or buy a new undersuit. The whites thermal fusion is a really nice and warm undersuit.

You say you are using a NF base layer but there are the dry and hybrid versions I believe none of which are terribly warm. They do have a "warm" version than has merino wool in it. I have the Fourth Element Arctics and the Thermal Fusion, but before you spend a ton of dough on new undergarmets I'd purchase a warmer base layer with merino wool in it. They wick and provide additional insulation.

You can get the Helly Henson "warm" (57% wool) for a reasonable price or go with the heavier weight Smart Wool or Icebreaker bodyfit stuff. I'd look at least at the 200 gram weight.

Helly Hansen Men's Merino Wool + Lifa Baselayers - Baselayer
[url]http://www.baselayer.co.uk/Men-s-Merino-Wool-cat-290

[/URL]

Torso was nice and warm for first 40 mins but then seemed to cool down a little or perhaps I started to cool. I checked battery and was still on and had charge. Do you know how buoyant the TF is? Thickness? Does it have a pee valve cut out as I need one for the heated vest. I don't mind dropping a little more cash on the quest for warmth but I'm almost at my financial limit. Cheers.

Well, you are warmer than I, if you go in 57 degree water!

Layers, layers, and layers. Do you have room for more layers?

I have a White's thermal fusion. How tall are you? It should fit up to 5'6', and our weight is the same.

Are you in the States? I might consider loaning it to you. :wink: I'll probably be selling it and my 4th Element Arctic underwear. Just too much bulk for me, and I seep and get wet. Only wool keeps you warm when wet.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

When I was on my "warm" search, I wished I could try them. That's why I am offering a loan.

You say you are using a NF base layer but there are the dry and hybrid versions I believe none of which are terribly warm. They do have a "warm" version than has merino wool in it. I have the Fourth Element Arctics and the Thermal Fusion, but before you spend a ton of dough on new undergarmets I'd purchase a warmer base layer with merino wool in it. They wick and provide additional insulation.

You can get the Helly Henson "warm" (57% wool) for a reasonable price or go with the heavier weight Smart Wool or Icebreaker bodyfit stuff. I'd look at least at the 200 gram weight.

Helly Hansen Men's Merino Wool + Lifa Baselayers - Baselayer
IceBreaker Everyday Merino Wool Underwear for Men - Baselayer

The NF I wear is called "Hot".

I, prior to the heated vest, was wearing under the BZ200 top and bottoms of Under Armour "Cold Tec" followed by the NF "Hot" followed by Ice-Breaker merino wool 260 weight and finally the BZ200. Last weekend with the heated vest, bottoms NF and ice-breaker. On top just NF, vest and BZ.

Ok, I'll look into some different base layers.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 08:41 PM ----------

Well, you are warmer than I, if you go in 57 degree water!

Layers, layers, and layers. Do you have room for more layers?

I have a White's thermal fusion. How tall are you? It should fit up to 5'6', and our weight is the same.

Are you in the States? I might consider loaning it to you. :wink: I'll probably be selling it and my 4th Element Arctic underwear. Just too much bulk for me, and I seep and get wet. Only wool keeps you warm when wet.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

When I was on my "warm" search, I wished I could try them. That's why I am offering a loan.

Cheers for the offer Jax unfortunately I'm in Japan. I'm just shy of 5'8" so am worried that I'll be swimming, pun unintended, in the SM/MD Thermal Fusion. I was looking at the Halo 3D but the pee valve cut out on the suit is lower on the thigh and I think possibly the heated vest cable won't reach under that far and then back up to the connector. I was also considering just getting a MTM BZ400 but have read people saying it requires a whole lot of lead to sink.

Hmmm...

4th Element Halo 3D

Back
Top Bottom