Cold, Sore, Exhausted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the link would have worked better had I put it in . . . HERE is Cameron's website. Sorry!

Looks like you've gotten lots of good advice...
After looking at your pic, I will echo what others have said about body mass and thermal loss. It's simply going to be more difficult to maintain body heat with your particular build.
That being said, again after seeing your pic along with your story, I would encourage you to see a healthcare practitioner and get an eval of your adrenal and thyroid function. The majority of the population in the US is sub-clinically hypothyroid, simply because of inadequate iodine intake. It isn't expensive to check, and iodine supplementation is easy and cheap as well. To check: look up 'iodine patch test' on the www, and for more specific and accurate info, consider a 24 urine iodine test.
For adrenal function, a simple test called Raglands test, evaluating blood pressure while lying, standing and sitting can be very informative.
Here's to warmer diving.
WNW

aye, I've had thyroid tested, came up normal, as have a whole range of bloodworks. Not sure if adrenal specifically has been tested.

I'll work on getting warmed up between dives, hunt down and use my hood, and I'll try pouring water down the front of my wetsuit....

...and here I thought women were the ones that stayed warmer ( I remember reading some National Geographic article about female pearl divers, they attributed the extra warmth to a ....let me get this right...I think they called it " a layer of subcutenous adipose tissue" that women naturally have to protect the core.)
maybe you are too skinny!
my advice ...wear a hood and eat more cheese!

Hooded vest I think may be out of the question as it is already near impossible to get the zip up on my wetsuit jacket. The boat we're currently using requires wetsuits off to go to the toilets (and that's my first destination on surfacing!)

Hi Neda,

I second (or third or fourth at this point) the hood suggestion. I have a Henderson Hyperstretch hooded vest that I absolute love and always wear, even in warm tropical waters. The Hyperstretch is great because it fits nicely even over thick wetsuits (i.e., the thing goes on over the jacket to add another layer) and the stretchiness makes it easy to whip on and off between dives. Mine is 3 mm over the core and 5 for the hood and that works well for me. The extra layer over the core is great and I love the warm head with no cold water down the back of my neck ever.

Good luck!

Another science link:

Another look at Hypothermia

Dr. Bookspan has written for Alert Diver and other dive mags. I refer back to this article every so often.

I get a lot of good info from her website about all kinds of fitness issues: Dr. Jolie Bookspan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom