Cold water diver in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Megamouth

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I originally posted the following message in New2Scuba thread - but alas, I received no response.

Anyway, a little about myself. I'm a newly minted cold water diver living in the city of Vancouver. I'm still feeling not too confident in the water. The fear of strong current especially gets to me ;-0. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to be a member of this fine group of people.

Cheers,
Megamouth

Original message:

Been on the site regularly for weeks but have only now decided to 'speak up.' Anyway, I got certified in August. I've purchased all my gear ('cept tank) and am just itching to go diving.

Can any of the local divers give some suggestions as to good places for beginners, with new untested, to dive? (excluding Whytecliff, Porteau Cove, and Ansell Point) Somewhere where I can practice all the skills and not have to worry about heavy current....

Welcome to the Scuba Board. Like I said on the other thread, this is a good place to start. Hope some other BC divers chirp in here. :huh:

You might also try the North America forum, sometimes. I plan on coming up that way next summer to try your waters, but the coldest I've done so far is Catalina Is, Calf.

:cheers:

don

Check out northwestdiver.com There are lots of local divers there that you can hook up with a lot of local divers.

Hi Megamouth, welcome!

I happened to inquire about diving locations in Vancouver B.C. a while ago, since I plan a trip out there for next January. Some people posted some handy websites, which gives information on diving locations (incl. description of currents, marine life, etc).

For that specific thread, go to the North America forum and look for my nickname as I started that thread!

Have fun!

Watersprite

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!! :thumb: and esp to dandydon for suggesting that I post here!! :) The diving up here is supposed to be really good. I haven't experienced the really good sites as my only ocean dives were done during my checkout dives. :teeth: Those sites weren't that great.

I'll definitely check out the website and thread (suggested by dborden and watersprite :wink: )

As for the fear of strong currents, I guess I'll just have to get out and dive for it to go way... the fear, that is.

cheers,
Megamouth

Hi Megamouth.

I am also a newer diver. (Athough I'm not local) Right after I got certified this June, I went on vacation to Victoria and dived at the Ogden Point breakwater . It's a training site and a marine preserve.
I went for a half dozen dives there. ( Also a boat dive) and it was great.
Convenient dive site, right beside the shop; all amenities and lots to see in a fairly safe environment. You can find a buddy fairly easily if you're solo. Diving there is inexpensive.
Say hi to Erin at the shop.
There are also are lots of nearby sites for shore dives. I found plenty of info on the net (BCDiver)as well as a couple of books with info.
I can't wait to go back and dive BC again. If you have found any info that you would share, I am interested to hear it.

Yank

:) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom