Cold Water Newbie: Have Octo to be CW-Compatible too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toby_deluxx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I´m new around here, so I got plenty of questions.
First off:

Must an Octo be cold water compatible too?
I guess so, but I´m not sure, so I´d like to ask you guys here.
I´m looking for a decent setup now.

I could get my hands on an Aqualung LX Supreme for a real good price but "only" with Titan LX Octo included (not CW-Certified)

If I need to buy a regular CW-Octo on top, the price is really above standart and I don´t know if it´s worth it.

Or should I go with Apeks ATX 50 with TX 50 as Octo? (DS4 I heard often as first Stage) And are theese CW-Compatible? Don´t know (yet :) )

thanx,

Toby

toby_deluxx:
Or should I go with Apeks ATX 50 with TX 50 as Octo? (DS4 I heard often as first Stage) And are theese CW-Compatible? Don´t know (yet :) )
Yes and Yes

If you want a cold water regulator, then the alternate second stage should be cold water compatible, too. One possibility is to buy the package, sell off the octo on Ebay and buy the cold water second stage seperately. Not sure if this will be cheaper than buying both seperately. The Apeks are nice simple regulators, and I believe widely liked for cold water.

By the way, by 'cold water' you mean cold (<40) freshwater, right?
If you're diving the ocean, then unless you're diving in Antarctica or the Arctic sea, any good regulator will work fine.

Where are you diving?

Are you planning on doing any diving in 32 degree outside temperatures and less than 42 degree water temps?

PugetDiver:
Are you planning on doing any diving in 32 degree outside temperatures and less than 42 degree water temps?

you guys are totally insane

lol... yeah... and sane!

H2Andy:
you guys are totally insane

you are cordially invited to any of our next Ice Diving classes held on Lake Champlain, Vermont side :)
They happen the last three weekends in February....Friday nite is the academic session and Sat/Sun are the dives :)

Chris will even provide you with a dry suit!!

Paul in VT
using Posiden Xstreams...they don't freeze up :)

PugetDiver:
Where are you diving?

Yes. Living in Germany and being only seasonally off to different spots I want to start CW around here. Most of the time & dives I will make in mediterran or tropical spots but nonetheless I want to dive in northern europe as well.

so very possible that water temperature degrees *could be* around 3 celsius (or 37 farenheit.)

So ATX 50 + TX50 + DS4 should make it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom