Cold-Water Sidemount harnesses for short chicks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: SMS75 is promising. I am a bit taller than you and dive steels and a Nomad old school.

After reading much about minimalist harnesses and North American steel tanks I am unconvinced about their compatability.

the xDeep Stealth with the buttplate works VERY well with the lighter steel tanks. I.e. don't dive big cave filled LP tanks with it and you'll be fine *95's and 104's in particular*. HP steel tanks are fine because they are much less heavy when full than their LP counterparts, and LP85's are fine with it. Much better than the Razor, and you do need a buttplate, especially if you are that short. xDeep buttplate is obviously compatible with the razor, or any other harness for that matter since it just slides onto the crotch strap and can be held with a couple of slide locks.

I dive steel 100's, as they're little like me! Yeah, moving the door handles on the 100 won't help, the entire thing is just too long, and the 50 definitely won't have the lift I want. I wear about 16lbs of lead with the steels when I wear my pooofiest undies. Even the 75 that just came out is too long, though that's primarily in the shoulders. But I REALLY don't want to have to re-make shoulder straps for it. Maybe I should just make a harness. oh dear....

I'll look into those other options you guys mentioned, thanks a bunch!

...is obviously compatible with the razor, or any other harness...
It is not!
On the Razor 2 and 2.1 it conflicts with the wing and pouch attachment and the crotch strap is already occupied by the B-ring mounted there.

As stated! Any recommendations for a sidemount harness for a 5 foot tall lady with big knockers and a small waist? I've been diving the Hollis SMS100 (smallest size they have) which is lovely and great,

Have you tried the SMS50? It's about the same size as a little kid's backpack.

I do not understand the preoccupation with weight and size of tanks everywhere.

As long as you have to add weights to get down you could dive even heavier tanks, in my opinion - in any system.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2014 at 08:02 PM ----------

...about the same size as a little kid's backpack.
And about as useful for diving :wink:
Just kidding, I also think that should work.

If the bottom of the SMS100 is at her knees, nothing Edd can do can fix that, the plate is just too long. X-deep stealth is probably your best option. Get the optional butt plate if you're diving steels.

You can replace the bottom rails with smaller handles and move them farther up the plate. SMS100 plate is soft. You can drill holes and reposition the handles to wherever works. That's actually one of Edd's basic mods to the 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's another recommendation for the Stealth or the SMS75. I highly suggest you stay away from the SMS50. That thing is barely suited to a pair of AL80s in warm water.

With your 100s and in typical exposure protection, how much lead do you use to sink?

One of my mentors (introduced me to sidemount in Cancun) a couple of years back, is 5 ft nothing. She & her hubby (6 ft, 250 lbs) Both dive a Razor 2.
I spent a week in Tulum with them & saw no fit issues with either. Harness is very adjustable. Noteably does not have drawer handles.

Mike D

You can replace the bottom rails with smaller handles and move them farther up the plate. SMS100 plate is soft. You can drill holes and reposition the handles to wherever works. That's actually one of Edd's basic mods to the 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spare the fact that the whole plate is too long to begin with. If the buttplate is over her thighs the whole harness is wrong. One of the solutions to that with the nomad was moving to the tech buttplate which is shorter, but when she said the bottom of the plate is at her knees, it doesn't matter where the rails are, the whole thing is too long. xDeep is independent of back length, it's one of the principle adjustment points. Much better solution than hoping and praying the modification works when we already know it won't because the whole bottom of the plate would have to be cut off to make it short enough for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom