Short diver considering Sidemount, help & thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kdiver25

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I wondered if anyone could give me some info or thoughts as to whether or not Sidemount may work better for my issues below and what kind of set ups people have used who are similar in size?

I am 5ft 2” and short waisted (14inch back length) with wide hips . I have dived numerous wings/back plates/harnesses etc using single back mount (dumpy 12 or hp10) however I always feel very restricted like diving with a spinal board attached. Also no matter how I seem to configure my kit (lowering cylinder, tightening crotch strap etc) the cylinder valves are always very high and to be horizontal I need to spend most of the time looking at the floor or the tank valve is right behind my head.

I am wondering if Sidemount May offer more freedom of movement for me. Cold water diver using drysuit. I have a Sidemount try dive booked and will book a course if I like the feel but I’d be interested to know if there would be kit suitable for me.

Thanks

I am 5'6 and have had a history of low back aches. I was also looking at heading into the extended range/deco path and started looking at sidemount to solve two problems but there was just so much gear out there. A few different people from this forum recommended I look at Steve Martin et al who does some great online training. He does a lot of harness and other gear reviews as well. He and his instructors have several types of harnesses available to try before you buy when you go through their course. I would hope most instructor's you find can help guide you with the gear.

That said, I did a three day course in Florida with Joe Seda, one of Steve's instructor's. Though I may have to at a resort once in a while if I have to rent, I now don't want to ever use backmount again. I really enjoyed the gear and the way he spent the first couple of hours going over everything and getting me fitted, then in the pool, then in the open water. I still am a newbie with sidemount but can keep my bottles in line with my body. I always felt like I was either riding a horse or seesawing it with back mount, had my back aching and other problems which could of been 100% my fault physically or gear choice wise but now I am a lot more comfortable.

Steve's website has some free videos on it as well as a subscription service. I paid for the full deal after watching a few of the free ones as I think they are some of the best online training around. His youtube channel also has a bunch of videos and you can see several gear breakdowns on there as well. I ended up with the XDeep Stealth 2.0 Classic myself.

Sidemount Scuba Diving

http:www.sidemounting.com

Just my two tanks worth. :)

Thanks, I have seen a few of his videos and they look good. Glad to hear it has worked for you . My try dive is with Gary Dallas so If I like it (here’s hoping!) I will be booking on his course to learn more initially

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom