Sidemount SPG hose and routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pleased that the responses didn't come up with anything radically different to what I've already been diving. For a laugh -- and to wind up @Underwater Tourist -- I'll try the lollipops, then revert to the downward longer hoses which I used to use.

I actually don't like how much movement is needed to check gas on sm when using orthodox down-the-tank spg routing.

During my latest trip I did an experiment and rigged spgs on both regs like they were stages, so if you want to check gas, all you need to do is to push down on the valve, glimpse on the spg, and done. Easy peasy.

I really don't know why people don't do it more often.. its has all the benefits of the barbaric lollipop style set up, without any of the negatives

I really don't know why people don't do it more often.. its has all the benefits of the barbaric lollipop style set up, without any of the negatives
It retains the entanglement possibility, which I'd say is why it isn't done more often. However, in OW I don't see the harm. It will be a bit harder for the boat crew to grab if you're handing tanks up at the ladder.

It retains the entanglement possibility
I would really push against this argument.

A folded spg hose tucked deep under my armpit is an entanglement hazard? Then by this logic the entire first stage is a huge entanglement issue.

I don't even run my deco bottles like this let alone my sm cylinders. I prefer my hoses to run straight and not to have sharp bends in them or a fold as you called it.

I actually don't like how much movement is needed to check gas on sm when using orthodox down-the-tank spg routing.

During my latest trip I did an experiment and rigged spgs on both regs like they were stages, so if you want to check gas, all you need to do is to push down on the valve, glimpse on the spg, and done. Easy peasy.

If you can, share a picture of what that rigging looks like.
It retains the entanglement possibility, which I'd say is why it isn't done more often. However, in OW I don't see the harm. It will be a bit harder for the boat crew to grab if you're handing tanks up at the ladder.
It perhaps helps to distinguish Sidemount vs super-tight-Penetration diving. I don't know what percentage of us are doing those narrow penetration dives, but even if I went out of my way to bastardize my SM setup, I'd still have less entanglement-risk than a relatively clean backmount setup.

Not much. I route mine down the cylinder using a 9" hose. I reach back, grab the spg and pull it to the side while turning my head to the side; two very slight movements. Once the gas is checked, I tuck the spg back along the cylinder and close to my body so it is dangling out the side.

This is sidemount 101 and something that is done very frequently throughout the course when I teach it.

If you can, share a picture of what that rigging looks like.
There really isnt much.. just a stage-like set up, with the only exception that its best to keep the spg behind the body of the first stage (showing left tank reg). It will prevent the bungee slipping between the hoses and screwing up the tension on the tank. I havent tried it, but I also think spgs with larger faces will work nicer.
1680742339383.png

This is sidemount 101 and something that is done very frequently throughout the course when I teach it.
Most of the sm set ups that I see in Mexico just run the spg along the tank. My understanding is that its also the default config thats pretty much taught everywhere.

Any cave or advanced wreck diver should know how easy it is to be "waylaid" without immediately realizing it's even happened. Having the line slide off after a "close approach" instead of being "funneled in" and becoming worse is good thing. Heck, even tank boots are frowned upon for similar reasons. The bottom line is that every little bit of prevention helps in such environments.

I used to run SPG’s along the tanks when I started diving SM. However soon later i realized transmitters can make life so much easier.

I was trained with the "lollipop" method -- 2 x 9" (~23cm) rubber hoses angled upward toward the sternum.

Benefits:
  • The SPGs will always be in a predictable location (often actually against your chest), meaning they're mostly out of the way and are easy to find.
  • A 9" rubber hose is stiff enough when pressurized to stay in place and then return home when it's released, but it's also sufficiently long and pliable to pull forward easily for a glance.
  • Both SPGs are centrally located; you can charge them with a light mounted on either hand, and while charging the faces, you won't send weird signals or accidentally dazzle your buddy.
  • The pressurized/unpressurized status of your regulator systems is immediately obvious.
Drawbacks:
  • The hose-and-SPGs are angled, so you'll probably need to angle your first stages on the posts. As a result, you might also need to tweak or entirely reconsider your LP port choices or hose-routing.
  • The lollipops are always poking up, even on the surface.
This method worked fine, particularly as a beginner to SM with limited funds and a non-AI computer, but before long, I went AI and never looked back.
I use this method too, but angle a little bit dawn, let said a mix way, with 6" house and 2" spg glass face, really easy to read, even when just looking to your chest

Back
Top Bottom