Cold water usage and second stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawasakign

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I have a MR12 first stage that I purchased used. Of course I am going to have it looked at and serviced before I get it wet, but my question is how well it holds up in cold water? Is there any "cold water kit" that can be added when serviced like other manufacturers offer? The plan is to use this on a pony/deco bottle.

Also, what second stages are "mated" to this reg's int pressure out of the box? Are they available separate as just a second stage?

Thanks

The MR12 does have a CWD available (cold water kit) that uses silicone oil and an external membrane diaphragm. I have hundreds of cold water dives on my unsealed Mares regs, and have never had an icing problem. Proper cold water diving techniques go a long way in the prevention of problems.

In fact, I am planning on diving tomorrow in water temps below 40 degrees, and my Mares V42 is unsealed.

The proper IP for the MR12 is from 135-145, with the lower pressure being more desirable for cold water diving. I adjust most of the regs that I service to 138-140 for all around diving. The majority of second stages on the market are compatible with such pressures. The second stage needs to be adjusted after being attached to the first stage.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom