Cold while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was always told that being cold is a problem in its-self. It certainly makes a dive less enjoyable for me. To that end I got a drysuit for spring diving (72f/22c water). Hypothermia means you ignored the cold problem for way too long.

On the other hand, we don't have what you northerners call "cold" water down here. It may be a matter of perspective.
Agree. The first time I ever saw a drysuit was in 2006 while on a boat out of Destin in March. First I asked what it was. Then I asked "why"?
Anyway, I agree that cold is no fun. There have only been 4 winters in the 15 years I've been diving when we didn't spend 2-3 months on the panhandle. In those years (including this past one), I put on the wetsuit to grin and bear it. Alternative was being dry from Nov. through May. But, I did pick my day.....Or, spend the $ on a drysuit and use it very little.

That would explain why i am so hungry after a dive. Some times i feel like i could eat everything in sight!
One of the prime diving spots in Victoria has a pub, literally, steps from where you surface and park. Needless to say there's a very real danger of adding another $30 - $40 to the cost of your dive, whenever you go there.

I don't think anybody has mentioned the possibility of problems from slow off-gassing when your body temp drops. I've heard this can be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom