Coldwater diving in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I live and dive in the Virgin Islands, where the water temp never gets below 75 degrees. I always wear a full 3/2mm wetsuit, even in the Summer. I am usually freezing, and shivering during the second half of my first dive. The second dive, I am so cold that I can sometimes hardly stand it. I am a very relaxed diver, and I usually dive for 60 minutes per dive on a 20 - 40ft dive. I am a 28 year old female in good shape.

Anyway, my question is am I having something similar to a coldwater diving experience? Am I burning more calories just to stay warm.

Thanks,

Shay

mermaid in the vi:
I live and dive in the Virgin Islands, where the water temp never gets below 75 degrees. I always wear a full 3/2mm wetsuit, even in the Summer. I am usually freezing, and shivering during the second half of my first dive. The second dive, I am so cold that I can sometimes hardly stand it. I am a very relaxed diver, and I usually dive for 60 minutes per dive on a 20 - 40ft dive. I am a 28 year old female in good shape.

Anyway, my question is am I having something similar to a coldwater diving experience? Am I burning more calories just to stay warm.

Thanks,

Shay

I dive Belize with a 4x3mm semi dry suit winter and summer. Winter I'm considering a vest underneath. I get cold by the end of the second dive. I have pretty low body fat and have lived in warm climates for a long time. I think you change and adapt to the warm. When I go home to Ohio I wear three sweatshirts when all others are wearing a denim jacket. ??

Welcome to the board anyway Shay.

First of all, it is easy to get cold event in the tropics.

Second, being cold is bad for you, it lowers your immune system so should be avoided. As a 28 yr F in good shape, I could assume you are not carrying a lot of "subcutaneous insulation" (fat), if this is the case you will have to replace this with neoprene.

I personally have been living in the tropics for long enough that 26 °C (80°F) was deemed cold enough for me to buy a drysuit for (60 to 120 minute dives) in the caves here in Mexico.

Do you wear a hood and booties, these can make a HUGE difference, personally I prefer diving without them, but the only type of diving I dont like is COLD diving.

I also make sure that I dive a good 5mm steamer (full one-piece) unless all the tourists are fine without anything. When the punters are diving in swimsuits, I am diving in a full 2-3mm.

Other things you can try is a 3mm shortie on top of your full suit, or you can get some cool 5mm short John with hoods to go over the top of your regular suit.

One other question, how old is your suit. A lower quality 2-3 mm suit will loose virtually ALL its thermal properties after about a year and a half of regular diving.

Conclusion: Invest in more rubber clothing baby! Being cool is UN-cool, especially if you are thinking of divemastering or diving on a very regular basis.

Hey, do you know my mate Doug Kaufman?

Being from New England I am usually in very water and take a long break between dives. At your temps if you are cold, try a new suit(a little tighter too)..Loose is not good. The newer hyperstretch and super stretch materials are not quite as insulating but you get an almost "dry" fit and still be able to move.

If you dislike hoods, Henderson makes a lightweight ultrastretch cap called Microprene. It helps a lot with heat retention and you won't even feel it on your head.

Anyway:
The short answer - yes.
The solution - better thermal protection, especilly on body core and/or head.
Easiest think to try - use a hood on first dive of the day, see if it helps.

If you feel cold, you are cold. Not rocket science.
I've often watched divers in the gulf of Mexico end a dive because of the macho image casting aside a wet suit. The water may be 85 deg. when you hop in, but when you get down to 80-90 it drops to about 70-74. The body chills quite rapidly in that temperature of water without some sort of thermal protection.
Even in the dead of summer in the Gulf I'll wear a 2/3 full suit. If I get warm, I can unzip it and let some cooler water in, or just open up the neck, depending which suit I have on.
Once you're cold, you're cold . . .
Forget "image" and go for personal comfort and commensurate safety.

mermaid in the vi:

Thanks,

Shay

Shay, I have the same problem. I am a bit older than you 36 and an fairly good shape. I am a warm water wussy as I have been described. I live in SFlorida and therefore only dive in warm water (coldest 64). I dive with a full 3/2 suit in all temps. I found that when I was diving in water in the mid 70's, I was o.k. during the 1st dive (approx. 40 -60 min). But on the second dive, I would find myself shivering within 15 minutes into the dive. Needless to say I was tired faster and sucked down air like there was no tomorrow. A good friend, Walter, suggested getting a vest. After trying on what seemed like a million, I just couldn't see having that much on even in the 60's. Then I found this "thermal" t-shirt at Divers Direct. It was fairly inexpensive and gives me just the right amount of core protection to keep me warm. Plus on dives 72 and below, since I hate hoods, I use what is called a doo-rag (or more affectionately called on Scubaboard a "Dee-rag"). It is perfect for keeping warmth from escaping from your head and also helps keep the hair manageable.

Hope that helps!
Sandy

Everyone is different, I for one, have not 'put on a wetsuit' since I don't when. My recent trip to Sipadan (East Malaysia) was no exception, even at about 30 meters down the temp. was no less than 27C. or about 84 F. (give or take a few). I brought my full aeroskin body suit but never wore it, just a t-shirt under my BCD. Now I am not trying to 'brag how macho' it is, actually it's not, I just don't like to 'feel restricted' under water and when you come up to the dive boat it's 'piping hot' and a skin or wet suit is a pain. Back to a few other post, I think conditioning has alot to do with it. I have lived and worked in ski resorts for over 20 years (working at night in sno-cats, common to have wind chill -20 to -30F. all night), and yes I pack a 'little extra' weight around (about 210 and 5'11'', big frame), but it's what you are use to. So do what ever it takes to stay warm, I think 'body fat' is a major issue, especially when diving. Think I'll have a 't-bone' tonight :wink:

Hi All

I agree everyone is different i am 46 years old and live in the tropics, in fairly good shape, i have lived here for a good few years and dive most days occasionally 4 or 5 dives a day, i never wear a wet suit i am also a tech diver doing very long deco dives to much deeper depths, still no wet suit, i have seen fit young 20 somethings in very high temp waters being very cold.

It is all down to each individual person wear what you need.

I have freinds in the Bahamas who wear 7mil fullsuits with hoods in the warm months, and drysuits when it gets down to 75f in the cooler months.
I'm usually fine with a 3/2 fullsuit and a beanie. The beanie makes a big difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom