Collapse of the "Buddy System"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neat, guys! Good to know.

Since the LiquiVision Lynx has buddy locator functionality, if both buddies dive with a Lynx, I wonder how long until someone markets dive computers that can send out a distress signal to a buddy?

Of course, considering it's said a number of dead divers are found on the bottom without having ditched their weights, the effects of panic, the fact they used to tell people in emergencies to call 'Nine Eleven' but changed to 9-1-1 because panicked people couldn't find the eleven key on their phone, such a move could also create problems since the lead buddy could become overly complacent, thinking if there's a problem, my buddy can just signal me.

Richard.

So it is really essential that the slower diver keep up in a fast current. It is his responsibility to communicate when he stops for something.

I thought the rule of thumb was that the slower/weaker/inexperienced diver should be the one leading, that would seem to address many of the problems you are pointing at...

I thought the rule of thumb was that the slower/weaker/inexperienced diver should be the one leading, that would seem to address many of the problems you are pointing at...

No, not in our particular location. I am generally pulling a surface float attached to a reel and hook. Generally the current is moving faster on the surface than on the bottom, so I am being actively pulled through the water (in addition to the ambient current at depth). So the pulling of the float is a burden and reduces my mobility..

I can hook off, on the bottom when necessary, but the float puller needs to be the leader of the buddy team. To do otherwise is unworkable. It can be strenuous, so the stronger diver should pull the float rather than the weaker one.

I made a slight mistake, my son was pre-teen, not teen when I was teaching him this stuff.

This video may give you an idea of what I am talking about, with respect to drift diving in a current, pulling a float, how easy it is to get separated. It is a deeper dive and stronger current than probably most recreational dives, but the strength of the current helps emphasize my point. You gotta keep up with the float puller, if you want to stay together.

I posted this before, but I think it is very illustrative of my observation. Edit: It is NOT the best video to show a really tight 3-man buddy team. :no:

[video=youtube_share;JIN1uz94HNQ]http://youtu.be/JIN1uz94HNQ?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

I haven't heard of that. I usually go by the diver that knows the site is the leader. But what you say would make sense a lot of the time I guess.

If I'm remembering the OW class, I think it was the slowest/weaker/inexperienced diver sets the pace of the dive. It can still be lead by someone else :)

If I'm remembering the OW class, I think it was the slowest/weaker/inexperienced diver sets the pace of the dive. It can still be lead by someone else :)
So the person who is not leading (not "in front") can set the pace.... I suppose so if it's agreed upon that way. Either way the important thing is to look at each other at least every 10 seconds if not more often. Then nobody's diving de facto solo.

I have been growing uncomfortable with the idea of following a guide who knows the site better, it is really easy to get lazy, and forget to navigate. It makes sense in a tropical resort for the sake of efficiency, but it does not seem like a great model. I suppose it depends on a person, but for me, even when driving a car, it is easier to remember how to navigate when I sit behind the steering wheel, avoid constantly staring at the GPS, and when I am forced to actually process all the spacial clues in real time, whereas as a passenger, I might be constantly getting distracted and miss little things. It could be more efficient if you only have to go one-way, but if I want to have a reasonable chance of finding my way back when the guide disappears or passes out, as a diver new to the site, I would rather start with a map in my hand, a discussion, and actually lead, with the more experienced diver in more of a support role. Isn't this how we do things in other areas of life? You let the less experienced person lead, and even give them an opportunity to fail, but you are still there to observe, step in and course-correct only when needed, that's the only way to grow people who are competent. On a dive, I get at best half of the bottom time to grow "competent" enough to get back, and I have been on enough dives when my confidence in the ability to navigate back was low. One particularly alarming experience I've had, when the more experienced diver guiding, in a bad visibility, at some point saw another diver, got confused, thought that was me, and started chasing after that person. I don't think at that point anyone was really navigating, and at that moment, I realized I was on a "trust me" dive. I did take compass heading, but didn't write it down, and suddenly, I wasn't sure what it was. The junk on the bottom seemed simple enough one-way that I didn't try too hard to remember, then on the way back, it all looked somehow different. I should've been the one leading all along, to make sure I pay attention and stay at the top of my game.

kr2y5:

The issue of navigation capability and routine practice in recreational scuba is a separate but likewise contentious topic with a great divide between what is paid lip service to here (and what many believe) vs. what takes place in the real world. A lot of people seem to believe every rec. diver on every rec. dive ought to be independently navigating even on guide-led tourist dives in foreign sites unknown to the diver.

Here's the short version; for probably the majority of people in the mainly tourist driven charter op.s, I believe this is not the case. A few points to make:

1.) People differ widely in natural aptitude for navigation on land or underwater, and some of us are miserably lousy at it. What seems straightforward to you might be very distracting and difficult to me, even with diligent effort. Me and 3-D relationships do not get along; I consider parallel parking a nightmare.

2.) Many people do not aspire to navigate well. So they're not on track to achieve independent competence at this. Just like many people have no intention of mastering land auto. navigation beyond following a GPS.

3.) Many of us do 'trust me' rides in taxis, cars with spouse driving, plane rides, charter boat rides, etc..., and if I'll kick back at 10,000 feet in a pressurized metal tube driven by some guy I don't know at hundreds of miles an hour, then following a dive guide with years of experience on the site in question doesn't seem like that big a stretch.

Richard.

I come prepared to solo it all the way through, same as I do at work (law enforcement, road patrol). Buddies, much like backup, are great - until they don't show up in time, or don't bring the proper tools/knowledge with them.

I've pretty much done a solo act since I got out of OW training... Nobody else I know except one guy likes to dive, and our schedules coincide pretty frequently, but not always. That's what backups are for. :)

You gotta keep up with the float puller, if you want to stay together.

I thought the point of drift dives was to drift? The sales pitch is to relax and you drift along admiring the beauty of the ocean.

Havng to chase after somebody who is being dragged by the current for 40 minutes does not sound like fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom