collecting Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon:
what were the demsions of the 250 gal tank?......yeah i am going to get a boat at the end of the year.. so get ready...lol... i want to build a 300 gallon.... but i want to learn more about aquariums before i get into that though....
======================================
Don't have the exact numbers anymore. Built it from scratch in 1973. Lenthwise it was well over 5', height was about 24" and depth was about the same. Reason I know about the capacity is that it took 5 of the 50 gallon plastic garbage cans full of seawater to fill it. It was an experiment that went "right", after many successful smaller aquariums. It was too big to mix the seawater and I had access to a boat (and we both had aquariums) so we went way out into the gulf stream and collected our water for initial filling and water changes.

One suggestion is that you keep your depth and height around the 24" level for access. Length is where you can pick up your extra volume. Another thing ...with the longer aquariums you need to have braces running from front to back to control the bowing of the glass. I used (if I remember correctly) 1/2" tempered glass.

I learned more about aquariums, salt water chemistry, fish collection and fish diseases than I would have in a lifetime with store bought versions. It was a good time in my life. Survived 3 years in the military (US Army 1968 - 1971), moved to south Florida and had returned to college. Had lots of time on my hands and had discovered SCUBA diving. My former state of residence (Ohio) was giving a $500 bonus to Viet Nam era vets and I told myself that if I actually got that check I'd use it to build my aquarium. It took me EVERY penny of that check, and then some, and that was back in the early 70's.

Enjoy your plans ...

'Slogger

Consider in you design that a cubic foot of water contains about 7.5 gallons. Also just a little extra depth can double your glass costs. (Well maybe not double but it does get expensive really fast.)

TimAZ:
Consider in you design that a cubic foot of water contains about 7.5 gallons. Also just a little extra depth can double your glass costs. (Well maybe not double but it does get expensive really fast.)
=========================
Excellent point and also remember that a gallon of salt water weighs over 8lbs ...so make sure the stand you build/buy can handle the weight as well as the floor in the room you locate it. I built the frame for mine out of 4 x 4's and it had a 1" thick wood laminate top.

'Slogger

shil:
sea dragon

Another good way to collect fish , is to night dive for em, bag them with the net orplastic bag. But in all these collecting ventures, DO BE VERY CAREFULL, not to break any coral growth. better to let that fish go than break coral...! And if by chance you overturn loose rocks , make sure you put them nd back the right side down.
Also research which fish can be kept in captivity, as there some stunning fish out there but with a specialized diet that will wither away in your tank. Butter flies are some of them.

Shil

Shil
will keep that in mind... how can you take the coral with out killing it?? and i have flipped rocks and i always turn them back....

Footslogger:
======================================
Don't have the exact numbers anymore. Built it from scratch in 1973. Lenthwise it was well over 5', height was about 24" and depth was about the same. Reason I know about the capacity is that it took 5 of the 50 gallon plastic garbage cans full of seawater to fill it. It was an experiment that went "right", after many successful smaller aquariums. It was too big to mix the seawater and I had access to a boat (and we both had aquariums) so we went way out into the gulf stream and collected our water for initial filling and water changes.

One suggestion is that you keep your depth and height around the 24" level for access. Length is where you can pick up your extra volume. Another thing ...with the longer aquariums you need to have braces running from front to back to control the bowing of the glass. I used (if I remember correctly) 1/2" tempered glass.

I learned more about aquariums, salt water chemistry, fish collection and fish diseases than I would have in a lifetime with store bought versions. It was a good time in my life. Survived 3 years in the military (US Army 1968 - 1971), moved to south Florida and had returned to college. Had lots of time on my hands and had discovered SCUBA diving. My former state of residence (Ohio) was giving a $500 bonus to Viet Nam era vets and I told myself that if I actually got that check I'd use it to build my aquarium. It took me EVERY penny of that check, and then some, and that was back in the early 70's.

Enjoy your plans ...

'Slogger
wow thanks...i know it will be costly cause i need a wet/dry filter and a skimmer and all that stuff... so i might be looking at 1-2k in equipment... the fish and stuff i will try to get my self

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom