Color correction / filter / protune

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
Just upgraded to a 6 from a 4 black that quit powering on. I have never bothered much with doing any color correction or using filters, but I do have FCPX to do my editing in. What would you recommend for video settings on the GoPro? Protune on vs off if using a red filter? Leave white balance on auto or a particular setting? I’ll be down in key largo in a few weeks and I want to make sure my videos turn out the best they can...

I'd advise Protune Flat. And you might want to leave the red filter at home, at least be sure to remove it in time when going shalower.
I have **** loads of footage that has too much red in it when the sunlights flickers past the lens. (despite being on 10 meters depth (33 feet))
From my experience it's easier to ad a bit of red in FCPX then to remove it afterwards.

(btw the new color correction tools in 10.4 are really great for correcting underwater footage)

With the 6, the colour is significantly improved over the 4 (just spent a few weeks in Bonaire with a 4 Black and a 6)

4 Black had a filter (backscatter shallow), while the 6 did not, and the 6 looked better out of the gate comparing the footage.

Shoot as flat as you can, upgrade your FCPX to 10.4 to bring in some more powerful colour correction tools and play away!

_R

So I shot a little in the local quarry last night. Not much to film there, but good practice using the color correction. I used a magenta filter from backscatter, and protune off. I thought it came out pretty well, but I'm open to suggestions and tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom