Colorado Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deanadives:
I haven't been to Perch Lake...where is it? Anything interesting to see? I heard there was a plane in one of the lakes in CO ~ Do you know anything about that?
Deana,

FYI, I did some diving while living in Colorado up around Leadville. Most of the high lakes I dove are fairly clear but sterile, there's not much to see in any of them. Call it practice diving. A chopper went down in Horsetooth reservoir, but I thought it was recovered. 'In 1992 two passengers were killed and KUSA-TV helicopter pilot Peter Peelgrane was critically injured when he was forced to land his helicopter in the frozen waters of Horsetooth Reservoir. Clinically dead, Peelgrane was rushed to Poudre Valley Hospital where his heart was started and he spent one month in a coma. He ultimately died from injuries sustained in the crash.' Unclear on the disposition of the chopper, it may still be there.

There is supposed to be a locomotive (small, mining type rail) in Yankee Doodle Lake. For details, PM me. Looking for it was on my list of things to do, but I got transferred before getting around to it.

Best I can say about Colorado diving is that any clear vis diving beats no diving :)

Regards,

Doc

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

I got a bit behind in my greeting due to some great diving over the weekend, but wanted to offer you a warm ScubaBoard welcome now that I'm back. I guess diving is an acceptable reason though!

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Deanadives:
I haven't been to Perch Lake...where is it? Anything interesting to see? I heard there was a plane in one of the lakes in CO ~ Do you know anything about that? Planning on going to Santa Rosa the weekend of Aug. 14-15-16...

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but there is a plane in Aurora Res.

K

Welcome aboard! The Blue Hole is about it in this area for reasonable viz and wetsuit temps. It is, however, a b-o-o-o-ring five hour drive from Denver (okay, four hours from the Springs). It's also quite crowded on weekends as just about every shop in three states uses it for OW training.

Aurora Res and the gravel pit at Chatfield are okay for quick dips and checkouts, but the high mountain lakes are a bit more challenging (and colder). I might suggest Twin Lakes, Jackson Lake, Turquoise Lake and even Granby Reservior. Give yourself four to six hours to offgas upon arrival and remember to convert depth and time for altitude.

I'm also curious about Perch Lake and would be interested in signing on with any body going down there in the next few weeks.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom