Combining stainless steel fittings with brass fittings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePimp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm collecting the parts and info for assembling my own external filter for my compressor.

One thing though that is puzzling me...can SS fittings (like isolation valve for example) be mixed with brass fittings?

For example I have a DIN G5/8 adapter made of stainless steel, but my hose is a Coltri one which is Brass.

Or I found a nice isolation valve from Undersea, but my adapter before the valve is M-M G1/4 which is made from brass and is sealing with a washer.

Please advise?

Thnx!

before or after the drying stack? moist air before the drying stack can cause galvanic corrosion

After.

This is for additional filter or those kinds of additions to my compressor.

before or after the drying stack? moist air before the drying stack can cause galvanic corrosion
Between brass and SS? Not really

After.

This is for additional filter or those kinds of additions to my compressor.
Its not an issue to combine them BUT you do risk breaking the brass ones. Especially if they are NPT females, proceed with caution and dont over torque them

G1/4 is a European BSPP thread form. British Standard Pipe Parallel Thread...
It is also a common low pressure fitting used in low pressure garage type compressors with a typical 8 to 10 bar working pressure and a 2:1 working pressure rating to burst pressure.

High pressure fittings are more common in 316 stainless steel with a heavy wall thickness and a minimum 4:1 working pressure to burst.

But again dont confuse all BSPP fitting with for example BSPP hydraulic fittings made in both steel and stainless with only a 3:1 pressure to burts ratio.

Very difficult if you dont know the model type and brand worse still if there are no markings on the fitting itself or its made in China off some old melted down brass buddha statue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom