Comfort items for liveaboard - or what you can't live without..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving in many of the places you mentioned (Not Fiji). They all have something different to offer. Thailand is great. It's not just the diving which is fabulous but the people, the food, Thai massage and the overall ambiance. Sounds like you planned a great trip.

Yes, a dry suit for every dive you plan to make in a day. Five dives a day=five swim suits. You'll get butt itch if you sit around in a wet suit. Also, you'll dampen the seat covers around the boat. BAD FORM. You can run the suit trough itself around a railing, you don'y need clothes pins for them. However, you might want them for your socks. Yes, take socks. Not anything fancy. Poly liner socks are the best. They will make putting your 3-mil on easy and they dry fast. Yes, I wear a 3-mil since after five dives, even 84 degree water can chill you.

Don't bring a book bring at least 2 books. Last May on a liveaboard everybody went through at least 2. I also agree 3 to 5 swimsuits. I also brought a teddy bear made my bunk feel a little more like home.

SoSiouxme:
I'll be diving on the Colona VI -- I combined the two day and the four day for a six day liveaboard. I'm going Feb. 23. back March 1.

Nice boat and good crew. You will have a great cruise - this 6 day combo cruise is 1 of the best Liveaboard options offered. Food and refreshments readily available and delicious - both Thai and western cuisine. Also Feb/March is a good time to go to both of these areas.

Take a jumper or cardigan in case it gets a little chilly in the evenings (even though it will be heading for the summer months then). The hottest months are April/May.

Enjoy!

Having just returned from a Liveaboard a couple weeks ago, I highly recommend:

- Cactus Juice http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/ProductDetail.php?id=4
It works great for soothing sunburn, insect bites, jellyfish stings, rash, etc. Kind of like several products in one bottle. My dad was stung by several box jellyfish on one of our dives and someone on board had this. One application greatly reduced the pain, and after the second application he couldn't feel the sting anymore. Much nicer than having to bring something for Jellyfish, something for insects, and something for sunburn. I won't go on another trip without it, it was that good.

- Earplugs, definitely. I used these:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html They are fantastic. The boats are small and sound travels well. It is really helpful to be able to take a nap and/or sleep at night without being woken by people who have very different sleep schedules than yours.

- Lots of sunscreen and a bucket hat, esp. if you burn easy like me. It is nice to be able to bring your own shade with you if you need it, esp for the neck and ears.

- Your own small first aid kit. We had so many little cuts and scraps that the boat almost ran out of band-aids.

- Other things I was glad I brought: save-a-dive kit, sink the stink (or other type of dive deodorizer). Next time I will take like a travel size bottle of woolite or something like it, so I can wash something in the sink if I had to.

Have fun,
Jason

I just came back from the Galapagos (aggressor) and here is the list of things that made my trip better:

Sea sickness patches -- Transderm Scope® is particularly effective because it is applied as a patch on the skin and lasts for 48 hours.

Ear dropper with mineral oil or baby oil -- apply 2 or 3 drops in each ear before diving. Recommended by my ENT doctor and worked wonderfully. Better than alcohol or vinegar because it does not dry ir irritate ears. It just helps the water to come out more easily and keeps everything dry.

dive alert to catch the attention for the crew should you surface far away from the boat

dont bother with shoes besides your tennis shoes for shore excusions. you will spend most of your time on board bare foot.

Have fun!

joharogers:
I just came back from the Galapagos (aggressor) and here is the list of things that made my trip better:

Sorry to bud in on this thread - but what did you think of the Galapagos Agressor? I was looking at that one a couple of days ago and it looked quite excellent.:D

joharogers:
Sea sickness patches -- Transderm Scope® is particularly effective because it is applied as a patch on the skin and lasts for 48 hours.

I believe it's 72 hours, but good luck keeping it on that long if you're diving as much as you do on a liveaboard.

Fordan:
I believe it's 72 hours, but good luck keeping it on that long if you're diving as much as you do on a liveaboard.
72 hours. Clean the skin really well and stick a bandaid over it helps my husband keep it on for the duration. Even on a liveaboard.

Electrical converter! I believe your boat is 220V throughout. Better double check with your liveaboard company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom