'Comfortfit' mouthpieces on Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk Pitt

Registered
Reaction score
Ok... info/advice required.......

Recently gained my OW, but have been snorkelling for years.... one of the first things I noticed about regulators are the varied styles of mouthpieces:

Some are ok

Some you have to bite down on as if your life depends on it (which it does)

Some are far too pliable and encourage leakage at the side of the mouth

I have a Aqualung Impluse 2 snorkel which I have had for years, which boasts a 'comfortfit' mouthpiece, this is by far the best mouthpiece on any snorkel I have every tried, no jaw ache just stays in place.

Whilst recently diving in N Cyprus my reg kept trying to pop out all the time which required me to hand on to it like a bull terrier..... especially when looking to my left. The local dive master agreed about differing reg mouthpieces and he personally uses a heat moulded mouthpiece.

Any recomendation for regs fitted with comfortfit style mouthpieces? Any info or other experiences on the subject appreciated.

Dirk.

You will find this style of mouthpiece on APEKS and Aqualung (US Divers) primary regs. My TX40 octo didn't come with funky mouthpiece... the explanation given was that the mouthpiece wouldn't fit the molded octo holders you wedge your octo mouthpiece in. In Divernet.com test of regs, some testers preferred the comfortfit mouthpiece upside down!

I have a seacure mouthpiece. You drop it in hot water and bite down on it, and it conforms to your teeth.
They require some trimming and general messing with to get them to fit right, and they are larger and firmer than the average mouthpiece, but they are very comfortable and secure then you get them right. It eliminates that urge to chomp and chew, and it actually helps me relax even more underwater, (if that is possible).
I really like it, and it eliminates the possibility of anyone asking to borrow my reg! :eek:ut:

Absolutely one of the best pieces of equipment that I have purchased is a SeaCure mouth piece. It is worth every cent you pay for it.

seacure moutpieces are nice unless it is the primary you are donating in an OOA situation, in that case seacure mouthpieces are not a good thing.

sheck33 once bubbled...
seacure moutpieces are nice unless it is the primary you are donating in an OOA situation, in that case seacure mouthpieces are not a good thing.

good point. if you use one, you should ensure that your buddy is not uncomfortable breathing from your reg.

I use a Comfofit mouthpiece. & I absolutely love them! It has a small rubber piece on the top that rests on the roof on my mouth. I never have to clamp down with my teeth.

I've found them in various dive shops and pick one up whenver I find a good price. Gotta have an extra just in case.

Paula

sheck : quote:
seacure mouthpieces are nice unless it is the primary you are donating in an OOA situation, in that case seacure mouthpieces are not a good thing.

could this be a DIR thing!!!!
but yes you are right sorry couldn't resist !!!

medic13 once bubbled...
sheck : quote:
seacure mouthpieces are nice unless it is the primary you are donating in an OOA situation, in that case seacure mouthpieces are not a good thing.

could this be a DIR thing!!!!
but yes you are right sorry couldn't resist !!!

actually believe it or not i shared air with a diver once with a seacure mouthpiece and i choked on it, and this was well before i ever got exposed to DIR/GUE :)

ever since i called those mouthpieces gag-o-matics :wink:

PS: no, i didnt run out of air, it was all practice :eek:ut:

saltwater taffy once bubbled...
Absolutely one of the best pieces of equipment that I have purchased is a SeaCure mouth piece. It is worth every cent you pay for it.

Here Here!

I absolutely echo the above statement. I love my Seacure mouthpeice. It stays in place much better and I don't have to bite on it like a starving mutt to keep it in place. By far, it is the best investment vs. cost in my entire outfit!

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom