Coming Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear DougieG,

Don't worry too much about April. While Cozumel sites almost always have a moderate current, mainly March seems to be a transitional month and it is common for eddies to form causing the direction to change in mid dive, sometimes swirl around, and frankly be uncomfortable for newer divers. Indeed, it is common to find such conditions at one dive site while less than a mile away there is no current at all.

On the other hand, it is pretty easy for the Experienced Dive Master and Captain to detect such conditions from the surface, or at least by jumping in first and checking conditions before the group enters. In fact I remember once stopping the boat and find it twirling around like a slow moving top—we did not dive there!.

If things look bad at the chosen site, it is very easy to move on to another. In addition, some sites can be notorious during that time and can be avoided completely. However, given a proper dive briefing, you should be prepared to avoid or encounter anything dangerous.

One of those oddities was a dive I led in the 90s in which the current was so fast we covered 4 normal dive sites. All I could say when we got to the surface was "we didn't see much—but we saw a lot of it!".

Once again, I would not worry much about it, sorry I raised some concern that could be misconstrued.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Not to be contrary to some other very experienced observations of statistics, but I have a "qualitative" opinion about Nortes that may be at odds with some published "stats". The absolute worst months for Port Closures are December, January and March. My memory fades a bit but it must have been 2001 or 2002 that in January the port was CLOSED for 21 out of 31 days, and for good reason.

Again, in my opinion, the worst months for crazy swirling currents are March and April. Including my lack of worry about Hurricanes, I will repeat my suggestion for times to dive Cozumel. They are: May-June and Sept-October.

If you wish to argue that with me in private, my phone is US 830 460-0667 and it rings here in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dang it, our 2nd Coz trip is next March (only time my wife can get off work).

Dear George,

Don't worry about this…we have never lost anyone because of currents! It just takes some planning and care, sorta "go with the flow" and enjoy.

Dave

Norte Update:

Got up this morning to see all three models in reasonable agreement. All with a more westerly component. Indeed, Galveston will have a 27 mph west wind tonight and tomorrow, and both Windguru.com models now only differ in intensity for Friday. Port closed? 50-50 chance, but Thursday night we will likely preposition boats on the East Side.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi Dave,

You had me at galleon...

Are the East side dives worth a January trip (high norte possibility) in order for a chance to dive east side?

Dear Charred,

If the east side is an important part of your bucket list, then January is your best chance…but I would guess no more than 5 or 6 days in the month-- and I can't predict more than a week in advance, and even that is iffy. Again, just a few degrees wind shift can have a big effect on our chances, and also whether we dive the east side north, or south. This last one we had to dive in the south for all three days, but even that is great diving.

But the good news is that the other days would be the NORMAL great Cozumel diving.

Dave

Just wanted to enthusiastically thank Dave for providing access to the east side of the island on days when the port is closed.
The wife and I got in 4 great dives with Dario and Miguel at Rasta's, Ventanas, Marracaibo, and Columbia on Monday and Tuesday. Yep, you read that right, on a port closure day we were having a fantastic, low current dive on Marracaibo!
We left Villa Aldora at 7:30am, it was a quick cab ride over to the beach at Chen Rio, and we were diving by 9am.
Given how windy and miserable it was on the west side of Cozumel during this time it was a real eye opener to get to the east side and see the flat, calm water and light breeze. I barely got my shirt wet wading out to the boat!
Dives were deep,long, and blessedly uncrowded, and even though we only got two dives in on those days we certainly felt like we got our moneys worth and we were more than happy to shower, relax a bit, and then head over to Los Otates for queso fundido and al pastor tacos for dinner.
So far it's been a diver's paradise for us in rainy, windy, closed port Cozumel.

P.S. The fried shrimp "po-boys" for lunch on the boat from Carmarones Loco, were outstanding.

It's blowing like a banshee here in Austin right now. I expect it will be there in a couple of days, tops.

Don't worry about this…we have never lost anyone because of currents! It just takes some planning and care, sorta "go with the flow" and enjoy.

Has Cozumel ever had a diver carried off by currents and lost for hours? Like we see sometimes in Florida and other locations?

I ask because it always seemed so busy that it seems like some boat will come by and attempt to pick up a random diver bobbing in the water.

The coming Weekend is real "iffy". However we will do all we can to get divers out.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom