Coming out of retirement (from diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see airfare to Miami for $200 on occasion. If your offering me a guest room I could find my way down there at some point.

I ordered a lot of toys over the weekend and I'm hopping it all arrives within the next week or two.

So I'm taking the plunge to the dark side. I've ordered a BP/W and the Hog D1 single reg set including 26" SPG and 7' primary. I'm going to try my best to get my gear all assembled and adjusted but I'd really love to find a buddy / mentor to help me with this transition.

Here's to making new friends soon!

Hi chrpai,

Welcome back to diving! I'm very glad to hear your wife is cancer-free after 5 years! :)

There's a group of divers forming here in North Texas that prefer to dive BP/W, and have an interest in Hogarthian diving in general, and GUE specifically. You're welcome to join us anytime! PM either Cyprian or me if you'd like more information.

Here's a link to our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NorthTexasDiveSociety

--Bryan

LOL....I sent him a PM, Bryan....but I like your direct approach, sir! :)

To be honest, I have an interest in Hogarthian gear configuration but avoid the use of certain three letter words while online.

Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba - Robert runs a charter on the lake, giving access to a lot more (and better in my opinion) dive sites.

With your first BP/W don't be surprised if it takes a while to get it set up exactly right. You can expect to move D-rings around and adjust the harness. Measure a few times before you cut, you know? Once you get it right, it's fantastic...just be patient with the process if you struggle at first.

I would suggest getting the best light(s) possible for diving our local lakes, as it's pretty much night diving all day long.

Between May-Nov I have dove the lake in the following:
dry suit
5mm + 3/5 hooded vest
5mm
3mm + 3/5 hooded vest
3mm
rash guard and shorts

The temps change a good bit in the heat of summer as you can see by the variation in what I dive in. Most common is a 5mm + hooded vest I think as the deeper water is generally pretty chilly all year.

I've gotten conflicting opinions of 5mm vs 3/2mm. I went with a 5/3 hooded vest and 3/2 full suit. If that gets me into the water until football season takes over my life, I'll consider it a success. There's always next year to learn dry suit diving.

So at this point I have my fins, boots, wetsuit, hood, gloves, mask, nitrox computer, IP gauge and logbook with air and EANx tables. I've also got an AL80 from a friend that I've dropped off for a hydro. That'll be ready in a couple days then I'll send it over to get a VIS and fill.

In the mail is my 28lb BP/W and Hog D1 single tank set with 7' hose and 26" 2" black SPG.

Still to figure out is my weighting needs. Pockets and lead.

I've gotten conflicting opinions of 5mm vs 3/2mm. I went with a 5/3 hooded vest and 3/2 full suit. If that gets me into the water until football season takes over my life, I'll consider it a success. There's always next year to learn dry suit diving.

That should work.

I use a 3mm in the summer no matter how deep the dive. Prefer to freeze at depth (~50F) in a wetsuit, than boil in a drysuit in the Texas sun.

Welcome back!

Did you get AL or SS backplate w/the BP/W?

I got the SS backplate. That's pretty much the main reason I picked the DRIS BP/W over the Zeagle Express Tech. They were just about the same price and very comparable except that I wanted a heavier rig. The advantage of switching wings and STA is probably lost on me but never is a long time.

Does anyone know any SCUBA friendly pools in the NW Austin area? It seems my neighborhood pool is only 4' deep and that will limit it's usefulness to me.

Back
Top Bottom