Coming out of retirement (from diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all. My wife had cancer but has been clean for 5 years now!!!

Hooray for that!!!

I stopped diving at about the same time for the same reason, but the outcome wasn't as good. I even had to have a little chemo and radiation myself, but have recovered enough to start diving again. I didn't get rid of my gear, but had to replace a drysuit that rotted in storage, kaching!

Anyway...good on you for getting back into it. Shame we aren't close enough to get in some bottom time together.

I have some questions for my ATX/CTX swampers..

1) What exposure protection do you own and use? Assuming I was happy with something like April to Oct / Nov dive season, what would be a good choice? 5mm?

I dive dry nearly year-round, but I'm weird. A 5mm should be fine. I used one until I went dry.

2) I see someone selling a used Faber 95 here in Austin. Think I could get by with one tank? What would you think of that choice?

Not a bad tank. I personally am ambivalent to them, but if you can trim it out, go for it. Make sure it's in Hydro at least.

3) I'm thinking about getting a Zeagle Express Tech. Seems like a nice streamlined back inflate hybrid-BP/W solution. Anyone dive one? Any better suggestions? (I like the price of this also.)

I'm a BP/W guy and recommend them, but if you're not going into diving twinsets or just don't want one, that BC would probably work.

4) Anyone or know of anyone with good quality gear for sale used? I'm finding Craigslist is all crap gear. I'm especially looking for a decent reg set.

Unfortunately, like looking for anything used, (cars, guns, electronics), it's luck of the draw on that one. The deals are out there, you just gotta hit that right time and place. CL is generally crap, unless you hit an ad for truly good stuff RIGHT when it gets posted and can be the first one there with cash. Of course, finding TRULY good stuff on CL is sketchy and uncommon at best.

I guess it'll have to be alot of eBay, LP and Scubatoys then. I just pulled the trigger on my first purchase. A pair of used ScubaPro Jet Fins. Now to find a pair of booties and a wakeboard so I can start excercising in the pool.

I'm working on it. I bought a pair of SB Jet Fins off eBay and 5mm boots and mask locally. I want to order a Zeagle Express Tech once I have an idea on what I'll need for weights ( concerned about trim and not buying things twice ) and I hope to find a good used reg set.

I'm hoping to be in the water by June.

I ordered the DRIS 28Lb BP/W today and I'm working on the rest of my gear selections.

So, would anyone like to be my first buddy / mentor? I'm going to need help in locking in my BP/W and getting my weight and trim right. Also a tour of the lake would be nice. I can bring the BBQ and refreshments.

I ordered the DRIS 28Lb BP/W today and I'm working on the rest of my gear selections.

So, would anyone like to be my first buddy / mentor? I'm going to need help in locking in my BP/W and getting my weight and trim right. Also a tour of the lake would be nice. I can bring the BBQ and refreshments.

Wish, I could make it out thereto dive, but I'll be earning some extra money this weekend for the SB invasion trip. Are you going?

Sorry for not being clear. I won't be ready by this weekend anyways. I'm thinking ahead.

I want to go to the invasion but I had to choose between a week vacation or buying all my gear in one shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom