Comments on Reefnet Dual Diopter Holder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpaustex

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
lost somewhere under the sea....(and central Texas
# of dives
Hi All.

I finally jumped into the SuperMacro realm, as I enjoyed taking macro with my Canon 5D MkII with my Canon 100mm macro in and Ikelite setup.

After much research on the forums, I narrowed it down to Inon and the Reefnet Subsee diopters. A couple of very helpful reps at online stores told me my best bet was the Reefnet diopter holder. I chose to go with the SubSee diopters, also.

I was excited when my package came a couple of days ago. Imagine my surprise when I take the adapter out and find it is made from ABS plastic, done on a 3D printer. As an exceptionally anal retentive structural engineer, I took a look at the build. A single compression ring holds the adapter onto the macro port, and this is held by a single small diameter stainless (I assume) wing bolt, threaded into the plastic. Hmmm...metal on plastic. :confused:

I then took out each diopter. They are heavy. I took the caps off to take a look. Hmmmm...fingerprint on one lens. A quick cleaning from my camera bag, and the lenses both look to be really good build quality.

With no instructions in the box, I mounted the adapter on my camera, then put both diopters in the holders. The holders "flip back" and are held in position out-of-the-way by yet another wing bolt into the plastic. The lenses similarly are held in place.

Immediately, I had a couple of concerns. The reefnet website says the adapters are made of ABS. ABS has very poor properties in UV light, causing it to break down and become brittle. I queried the manufacturer, and got an e-mail back that said "We have never experienced any customers with complaints about their adapters becoming brittle". All well and good, but what about the known problems with ABS and UV light? No answer.

I also asked them why they put metal threads into plastic, with no backup nut on the end of the clamp (it would glue to the plastic, where the bolt comes out of the clamp). Again, no real response, other than "I've done almost 1500 dives with 2 different SubSee adapters, on all sorts of boats, and on very rough shore dives, and have never had a problem. Nor have our customers".

Oh, and I was also told I was condescending and rude, for complaining about paying $330 for a piece of ABS plastic.

Anyone have any long-term experience with the single or dual hinge clamp cracking?

I think their product is a great idea, I just don't see the long-term thought process being carried out, and I am certainly not trying to run down their product. I just expect something that costs $330 to last more than one dive season, and not get toasted by UV light.

In fairness, they also told me I could send it all back.

Anyone else have a dual-hinge setup?

Last edited:
I have had the dual hinge mount for a sea and sea dx1g for several years now. No issues. Like my mask and most of my other equipment that is UV sensitive I keep it out of the sun. My mask is now 20 years old. I expect the mount to last as long. So no worries there.

No issues with the steel on plastic threads. I mount the lens once per dive trip. The depth of the threaded holes is long enough that it would be quite a challenge to strip the threads. All you need is finger tight. On my sea and sea mount the retaining screws are tightened against the plastic camera housing.

My first re-action regarding material was similar to yours, having been used to machined aluminum Amphibico video housings (and their corresponding price!). From a cost perspective, you get what you pay for. These are extremely low volume production runs. So the cost is inline with the materials and production methods. It is very easy to invest over $20,000 in tooling set up costs for complex cast, molded or machined parts. This type of manufacture does not make sense for these small production runs. I was actually surprised that they had invested the time and effort to develop as many different mounting systems as they have.

From a practical perspective, I only use 1 lens since both where very heavy and I found that I only used the 10+ diopter. So I removed the second flip up holder and leave the 5+ lens in my camera case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom