Comments re: Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am getting my first set of gear for tropical diving.

Would like to get comments on wrist computers (with a hosed SPG) that measure time, depth and do other useful but not too complicated functions.

I like the idea of it's being small for portability but is there any advantage to having the data on your wrist as opposed to on a console? I am aware that you can buy a device which also transmits the PSI data from your tank to your wrist computer but that's too sophisticated and too expensive for me at this point in time.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

You will have the information more conveniently located, streamlined and less prone to physically damaging situations......and then there is the cool look and travel portability factor.

SStrecker:
You will have the information more conveniently located, streamlined and less prone to physically damaging situations
Nail on the head !! I personally wear a Stinger and like the Suunto range (Mosquito, Stinger, D6 & D9) - check them out.

A wrist computer is also nice if (knock on wood) anything happens to your reg set you still have the computer to dive with. But it really is much more convient using a wrist computer for keeping track of your dive data, both in the water and out when you are recalling dive info to log your dives.

When you have a console, you have to drag it up from wherever it's secured in order to look at it. A wrist computer is part of your "dashboard" -- right in front of you, available for immediate reference without having to move anything. I started with a console and loathed it and quickly changed.

I use a Mosquito, which is a very handy, small wrist computer that you can actually wear as a watch, which comes in handy on diving trips. It's Nitrox capable and you can download profiles to your computer. The downside of the Mosquito is that the numbers in the display (particularly the dive time) are quite small, and if you are a little long in the tooth, it may be quite difficult to read. For that reason, I've just ordered a Vytec.

Ditto the convenience, etc. of the wrist computer. And if you want Nitrox ready, user changeable batteries, VERY easy to use, and don't want to spend a lot of money, get the Atmos 2 wrist computer, on sale now for only $279, limited supply.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_aeris_atmos_2_nitroxair.cfm

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Back
Top Bottom