Air integrated or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it worth the extra $$? that was my question really..... the reason for my starting the thread
and to me it doesn't bring enough to the party, given the type of diving I used to do or foresee ever doing..
I hear you. If it's worth the cost is a personal question. As long as I've been diving with a dive computer, I've been using Air Integrated computers. To me, it was worth the extra cost. I like to have all the information I need in one place. And even better if that one place is on my wrist (that's why I dropped the hosed AI computer and went hoseless), as I always know where my wrist is.
It doesn't seem like the current modern computers are doing anything with the breathing rates in terms of adjusting the deco algorithm
Correct. As mentioned, ScubaPro is doing something like that in some cases, but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily settled science that a higher breathing rate needs an adjustment to the deco algorithm. Breathing rate does not necessarily correlate to increased N2 absorption.

Then you answered your own question, right?

I did not think I wanted / needed it either, but I am really enjoying it, which is 99% of the reason for it.
no...I didn't answer it but you good folks did!

original poster here....
as one old schooler to another....my question was more about are there any advantages with modern computers that this old and rusty diver might not be aware of. Not really meant to be a debate exactly..... just a simple question from an out of touch diver.... Would they worth it to me?
My thinking is what do they bring to the party for the added money and complexity?
and the answer seems to be nothing more than they did twenty years ago.
1) digital instead of analog
2) wrist mount instead of hose
3) real time calculation of RMV/SAC

The main thing I like is the ability to know instant RMV/SAC. No more guessing. I still run the Oceanic Pro 4 on my recreational rig. I like the console. I have never really liked a bunch of stuff on my wrists. Except of course a big "old skool" dive watch. (Big watch, little dick).
For my doubles, I run Perdix 2 w/ AI. I have my transmitter on the secondary first stage on the right and run an SPG on the left primary first stage. Perdix replaces big watch on left wrist. Should the defecation collide with the ventilation, and I lose my primary, I still have integration on the Perdix after I isolate the primary. The integration on the Perdix is seamless and almost bullet proof with simple preventative maintenance.

So yes, my "Old Skool" sensibilities, like the digital, tech stuff. Because let's face it, when I (we) got into diving in the late 70's, EVERYTHING was "new tech". We rode the new wave of single hose regulators, BCD's (horse collar, then jacket), dry suits, (I ran a Poseidon Unisuit), and the first decompression computers (Scubapro and Farallon), that we lovingly referred to as "Bend-o-matics".

So, it is only natural that we older, more "seasoned" divers continue to embrace the latest "new tech". Especially when it comes to AI. I may not really want alot on my wrists, but the amount of information, instantly available at a glance, in a logical, customizable format, just can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom