Comparison - Shearwater Petrel, Perdix, and Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One trilobite on the petrel, one on the perdix and a small knife on each side of my waist belt.

But we are drifting off topic.

I have the Perdix AI and find it ok for my over 55 yrs old eyes (I don't year glasses). The new Perdix 2 has a different 'glass' for its screen and I've seen it said it's a little better, though from my experience with the AI, I can't imagine it being that much better.
That said, one thing that I have seen quite frequently from people who have the Teric and Perdix is that the digits on the Teric is easier to read for older eyes despite its smaller screen.

Thanks to all for the responses. This is all very helpful.

I'm in the same boat, looking into upgrading to a Shearwater. Not interested in AI. Will likely go with the Perdix for the compass feature.

There is definitely some misinformation upthread.

This is a good start:

Other points:

The Petrel 3 standalone is 1mm thicker and 2/4.5 mm wider/taller. But, for that, you get a 1cm (diagonal) bigger screen, compared to the Perdix 2. So, not really “bulkier” (or not very much at all - unless you buy the Fischer cable version).

The Teric and Petrel 3 both have OLED screens. The Perdix is LCD.

I have owned and dived together a Perdix and Teric. I think the Teric is just as easy to read. I think that is partly due to better contrast from the OLED screen and partly from more efficient use of screen real estate. And that is with the Teric in Normal, not Big mode. And I wear readers, too.

I would assume the Petrel 3 would be easier to read than either of the others.

The Teric compass blows the others away. The only thing easier to navigate with is a NERD.

I strongly prefer the Teric 4 button interface. The 2 buttons on the others basically gives you Down and Enter. The Teric has those plus Up and Back. You CAN use only the lower left and upper right buttons on the Teric and then the menu navigation works just like a Petrel/Perdix.

The Teric is much less likely to catch on things while you’re wearing it. For me, that mostly translates to when I reach between my rig and the one next to it on a boat bench for any reason. But also donning or doffing a harness or reaching between my body and deco cylinder to access a thigh pocket.

I’ve had accidental button presses on a Perdix. Usually from dry glove rings. I’ve never had accidental button presses on a Teric.

On multi-day trips I dive with 2 Terics, in case one craps out. They are small enough that I just fasten my backup around my low pressure inflator and shoulder strap. Totally out of the way and I never know it’s there. But, I could easily see it if I wanted to.

You can use an AA in a Petrel or Perdix. If yours dies and you don’t have a spare they are easy to find..The Teric is rechargeable and you can charge it with pretty much any wireless cell phone charger. Those are more and more easy to find just about anywhere nowadays. If I start a week long dive trip with my Terics fully charged, I will generally recharge them once about mid-week, just to be safe. Fortunately, one charge lasts long enough that even if I get to mid-week and then forget to charge them for a couple of nights in a row, they will still make it.

All 3 are equally capable for technical diving. They all support Trimix, multiple gases, and CCR mode. I use my 2 Terics for OC red and tech dives, and 1 Teric as a stand-alone backup on CCR tech dives.

They all support Bluetooth for wireless download of dive log info and upload of firmware updates.

I prefer the Teric. But, if I were buying a brick computer, I would give some serious consideration to spending the extra 13% (USD$150) for a Petrel 3 for the bigger, better display. Don’t know if I would, but I would definitely think hard about it.

I'm in the same boat, looking into upgrading to a Shearwater. Not interested in AI. Will likely go with the Perdix for the compass feature.

All current Shearwaters except the Peregrine have AI and a compass.

The Teric compass is way nicer than the others.

I'm using a Petrel 2 and a basic Perdix (first model) as a back up.

Go for the Perdix, it's slightly more compact and neater than the Petrel.

I have a watch that runs automatically, I don't need one that I have to charge every now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom