Teric or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver.Jason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am in the market for a Shearwater dive computer. I am conisdering the Teric or the Perdix 2. I am replacing an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (I believe Atomics will no longer service it) that I like but I want to go wrist mount.

I don't see myself at my age diving exotic gasses and pushing myself past recreation limits. Looking for some advice as to which way I should go from people who may have experience with both. I understand the batteries are replaceable in the Perdix 2 - But I have no problem shipping my watch to have it regularly serviced when needed.

The screen in videos does not look considerably larger than the Teric. As I understand it, the Teric has more customizable features.

What other considerations am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

So I am in the market for a Shearwater dive computer. I am conisdering the Teric or the Perdix 2. I am replacing an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (I believe Atomics will no longer service it) that I like but I want to go wrist mount.

I don't see myself at my age diving exotic gasses and pushing myself past recreation limits. Looking for some advice as to which way I should go from people who may have experience with both. I understand the batteries are replaceable in the Perdix 2 - But I have no problem shipping my watch to have it regularly serviced when needed.

The screen in videos does not look considerably larger than the Teric. As I understand it, the Teric has more customizable features.

What other considerations am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
I have both and dive with one on each arm - I find myself looking at the Perdix 2 more often. Both great computers, but I like the Perdix 2 screen/layout a bit better.

The one feature I do love on the Teric is the floating compass/North arrow that moves around the display - especially on night dives.

I don't see myself at my age diving exotic gasses and pushing myself past recreation limits.
You didn't mention Air Integration or electronic compass. If you don't care about those, the Peregrine may be a better choice (and it is much cheaper). It won't do trimix, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you.

Between the Perdix and Teric (if AI or a compass is mandatory), I would suggest you look at them in person. I got rid of a Perdix AI (predecessor to the Perdix 2) because my aging eyes could read the Teric more easily (very slightly smaller numbers, but much greater contrast). Others feel the opposite.

I went through this same decision recently and finally decided on the Perdix 2. For me it came down to battery -- but not just that the Perdix 2 has a user replaceable battery, but more that other threads on ScubaBoard suggested to me that a relatively high number of Teric owners on ScubaBoard were reporting that they've had problems (not just normal wearing out) with the Teric battery and had to return their computers one or multiple times because of that. I just want my computer to work when I need it to work, and don't have much patience for having to return it multiple times to the manufacturer and wait for it to come back.

I believe the Perdix 2 got some upgrade on the display over the Perdix AI (may have just been better glass?). In any event, I think the Perdix 2 and Teric both have good displays.

Several years ago, I was doing the same analysis. In the end, I opted for the Perdix AI over the Teric. The Perdix screen is quite a bit larger than the Teric, though the Teric screen is more advanced. So readability may be a toss-up, or go to the Teric. The Perdix 2 added a glass screen, so that may present an improvement over the Perdix AI.

Main driver was the battery for me. I wasn't opposed to rechargeable, but at the time was hearing lots of concerns about Teric battery life. While it appears that this is somewhat better now, it's not completely a non-issue. Unlikely to present an issue during a dive, and I'm positive Shearwater will continue to make it right when there is an issue. For me, though it's easier to just swap a battery in the Perdix.

Additionally, as I wasn't planning on wearing the DC out of the water, the watch form factor wasn't an issue. Teric would actually be too large for me for that purpose.

So I am going to throw a curve here - What is the major difference between the Perdix 2 and the Petrel 3? If I am reading everything correctly the Petrel 3 has the same features as the Perdix 2 but comes with the Teric's AMOLED technology. It looks like some serious kit yes, but the cost is not that much more than what I am looking at.

I went perdix ai added a Teric, sold perdix bought second Teric.

either or both will serve you well.

as I wasn't planning on wearing the DC out of the water, the watch form factor wasn't an issue
Hold on a second – we are NOT supposed to be wearing DC out of the water?! That explains the looks I get…

:p

Personally, I like Perdix, mostly on account of identical buttonology with Petrel that runs one of my CCRs. Then, I have not really played with Teric – how would it fare if used with thicker gloves?

Back
Top Bottom