Commercial Dive Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ldreamin

Reaction score
My son (who is not a diver) is interested in becoming an underwater welder. I've tried to check the internet (not real good at surfing) for schools for him to check out. The only ones I've found in the states are in Washington, New Jersey, and California. I know there has to be lots more. We live in Georgia and would like to find one somewhere close to here or maybe even Florida. Does anyone know where I can find out more info about schools in this area? Thanks for any input you may have.
Ldreamin

Thanks for the link.... it is a great site with the info I am looking for but will still be interested in any others anyone has.
Ldreamin

Originally posted by Ldreamin
Thanks for the link.... it is a great site with the info I am looking for but will still be interested in any others anyone has.
Ldreamin

Here's my collection, I tried not to repeat those included on the other posts, but there may be some duplication. Also, if he changes his mind about u/w welding, there's also the law enforcement catagory, combat divers, (not included in this list) and Barry University in Florida has a 4-year business degree program geared towards the recreational dive industry. There's also a commercial school in Louisiana, but I'm not sure where exactly. A buddy from our dive club enrolled and is down there now. I tried asking around, but all anybody knew was that it was through some local school down there, probably a community college.

Commercial Schools:
Assoc. of Commercial Diving Educators
http://www.diveweb.com/acde/members.html

Santa Barbara City College, Marine Diving Tech. Division
http://www.sbcc.net/academic/MDT/

The Ocean Corp.
http://www.diveweb.com/toc/

Military:
Hey Dad, look, this one's FREE! :wink:
Navy Diving & Salvage Training Center
http://www.cnet.navy.mil/ndstc/

Thanks so much to both of you for your help! I knew I could count on getting some answers here....
Ldreamin

Tis always wise to look before you leap...

As someone who spent 10 years in commercial diving, may I respectfully suggest you do alot of reading & ask alot of questions prior to plunking down major coin to learn the trade.

"Underwater welding" seems to be the idea the lay public has of what deepsea divers do when in fact, it is only a small part of the picture. Welding u/w can be done in the "wet" ( sticking metal together in water ) or in the "dry" ( subsea habitats seal around the job, the water is evacuated & the welders weld in the dry ). "Dry" welders are called "hyperbaric welders" and are highly trained/experienced topside welders who learn to dive & ply their trade underwater. If your son is serious about welding, suggest he aquire as many certs. as he can, spend several years honing his craft surface welding, then go to dive school.

There is "inland" & "offshore" comm. diving. The inland divers are heavy into u/w construction & work on dams, bridges, pipelines etc., etc., in harbours, rivers & lakes. Low to no visibility, strong currents, working below the mudline, polluted waters are all aspects of the inland divers' life. The pay varies: union jobsites pay substantially more...if you can get into the union; non-union pay rates vary from site to site ( see the link for more details on remuneration ). "Offshore" generally refers to oilfield diving...drilling, production/delivery & maintenance. It is a big world. Big ships, big barges, rigs, platforms, diving systems...the scope & scale will knock your socks off.

As a rookie oilfield "tender" ( earning the right to be called a "diver" is about a 3 year apprenticeship ) you work hard, listen hard & say next to nothing. Go offshore with an attitude & you'll be on the next boat for the beach. Dive school will give you the basics, the real education is out in the field. You need a thick skin & a sense of humour to survive out there. Gulf of Mexico divers have a long-standing tradition of treating green tenders as so much cattle fodder until they prove their worth...then they will slowly encircle you into the fold of the brotherhood.

Check out these links & if you have more questions, I'd be happy to try & answer them.

http://diveweb.com/uw/archives/arch/janfeb00.02shtml

http://offshorediver.com

Regards,
DeepSeaDan

Thank you Dan for your post. It's nice to hear from someone that's "been there and done that". My son does have thick skin, a sence of humor and is a hard worker. I've told him it's going to be hard on his body. He has done some reading on this but I don't think he's done enough. I'm printing info. from the site you gave for him to read. I just wanted to say "Thank You" and any other info. you know of I'd really appreciate.
Ldreamin

Just out of curiosity what is the job market like for this industry? The impression that I've always had is, that if your a commercial diver you make big bucks and there is tons of work available. Would be intersting to hear the thougts from someone in the industry.

Here's a post from DeepSeaDan, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I repost it:

I was a commercial oilfield diver for 10 years & loved every minute; I'd still be there now but for the want of a life beyond the deepsea, you see, "the life" demands your all...if your not willing to give it don't even consider it.

With a good attitude & your bags always packed & by the door you will get:

* a reasonable living. There is some big money out there but it goes to the top 20% in the field; the average diver will make 70k-100k in a good year.
* travel...you gotta go where the work is or you don't.
* Great adventures...commercial divers remain some of the most interesting characters around & the camraderie is second to none.
*the ultimate in "Tech. diving"...forget multiple bottles & redundant regs., you are now a hard-hat diver, that means surface-supplied gases, saturation complexes & remotely operated vehicles to name but a few. And there is depth, very ,very big depth for those who pursue it.

What you won't get:
* a stable marriage
* any semblance of a "normal" social life
* land legs
* statuatory holidays off
* a pension
* bored

You could be an inshore diver, but that ain't "the life". Its more like a regular construction job except you do it underwater. Not to say these guys aren't good, au contraire'...they can take their
construction skills & apply them anywhere in any type of diving job.
Never forget, you are paid for what you can do, not because you know how to get there.

The best of luck to you, mate!

D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom