Commercial Diving Depths.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danemeyer20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
what is the deepest a person has ever gone? What kind of decompression issues do they have? Dont know much about the trade and people do it every day. Any info would be great thanks

A lot of variables in your question.

People go to work and set records at depth with everything from submersibles to free diving- rebreathers, SCUBA and everything else in between.

Narrow it down, maybe a little bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVstp-7S5tk "Lee and Matt in Cranleigh pool defying George Irwin and surviving an epic dive to 190cms on a Buddy Inspiration rebreather."

The last I heard the Navy holds the wet weld record at 2000'.

RotanMan is right. Your question doesn't have a simple answer. Do you want saturation dive, normal deco dive dry or wet, type of gear etc.

We have guys right here locally that have done in the neighborhood of 1000 feet with a single alum 80. They must be trying for a time down record as well because we think they are still down there.

There is another thing to look at with military and commercial sat divers. They may have survived weeks or months under pressure on a dive but the long term results years down the road seem to take their toll which aren’t counted in any stats.

Gary D.

As far as I am aware, the record for the deepest in-water dive is 534m (1752ft) with surface supplied gas. The deepest "chamber dive" is 701m (2300ft). Both were done by the COMEX group (Comex - Hyperbaric Experimental Centre - Presentation and History)

The deepest scuba dive is somewhat controversial. It is probably Nuno Gomes at a depth of (318-321m). (320 depth record)

Of course, who knows what the military has done....

spt29970, Why do you say the deepest dive is "somewhat" controversial and that it is "probably" held by Nuno Gomes? There seems to be little info available when googling for this.

Incidentally, I met Nuno Gomes just this weekend while out at a local quarry. Helluva nice guy!

In 1979, Sylvia Earle walked untethered on the sea floor at a lower depth than any living human being before or since. In the so-called Jim suit, a pressurized one-atmosphere garment, she was carried by a submersible down to the depth of 1,250 feet below the ocean's surface off of the island of Oahu. At the bottom, she detached from the vessel and explored the depths for two and a half hours with only a communication line connecting her to the submersible, and nothing at all connecting her to the world above. She described this adventure in her 1980 book: Exploring the Deep Frontier.

I posted on a thread a while ago about the record for deepest Scuba dive with a question - never got an answer, so I will repost it here.

- John Bennett is the first man known to have dived on Scuba below a depth of 1,000 feet in 2001.
- Then it appears that Mark Ellyat achieved the same feat and went slilghtly deeper in 2003.
- Then it appears that in 2005 Nuno Gomes set the record that still stands today.

Deep diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, several of the record books seem to discount Mark Ellyat's dive. But I cannot find anything online which indicates what the controversy is/was (although it does appear that he had to be rescued by surface support team and ended up chronically bent). Does anyone know?

I meant surface supplied air. Anyone got pictures of what this getup looks like anyway?

spt29970, Why do you say the deepest dive is "somewhat" controversial and that it is "probably" held by Nuno Gomes? There seems to be little info available when googling for this.

Records should all be taken with a grain of salt since they are hard to verify. It was reported that the Nuno Gomes record was broken by Pascal Bernabe at a depth of 330m.
CDNN :: It's Official: New Deep Diving Record 330 Meters

If people want to consider pressurized vehicles, the undisputed record is the Trieste which went to the bottom of the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench in 1960. The depth was 10,900m, but the occupants were at 1atm. (Bathyscaphe Trieste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom