Commercial Pier dive this Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just me and I was feeling some weird things but did anybody else notice it get warmer as we went down and farther out? That just seemed a bit weird to me. Then again as the only one not wearing a wetsuit maybe my mind just started playing tricks on me :wink:

Your mind was not playing tricks on you. I really was colder on the surface to maybe 10 ft. I would say there was at least a 5 degree difference!

Great dive today!
C & K Bulla wish you were there! Seas started almost flat. Vis was an easy 40 ft. The current at the beginning of the dive was a leisurly north running but by the end of the dive, ended up pretty swift moving , to the point of the dive coming in from the second turning into a drift dive! Amazing because the weather was not showing any signs of change.Nice beautiful day, just windy the later it got. Wind setteled down by 6pm and was again from the east. Good for a night dive, but since I am here writing this, I didn't make one!

of course, on the day I can't make it. hehe ah well. hopefully I'll get some luck soon

Jenny,, Where did you park?
We had 4 awesome dives. (well, 3 were awesome..) Too bad we did not hook up. I was looking for other divers but saw none.
The 4 of us got to Lauderdale about 1 pm Saturday and went straight to some place call Erojacks in John U LLoyd Park.. Having never been there,, we did not find anything or have any clue as to where the reef was except for the driving directiond posted by Jenny. Oh well.. Vis sucked anyway..
Next, we went and checked in at the Villas by the Sea motel right next to the beach. Our room overlooked the parking lot and shower area. Great place to dive from.
We geared up and walked to the beach and did a 100 minute dive. Vis sucked but we had fun. We took 2 Tyger Ray scooters made by "Cayman Dive Gear" out of Naples FL. www.caymandivegear.com) and had a blast with them. We scooted alongside a very large turtle and he was not scared of them at all. For some reason, draft? the Tyger Ray attracts fish that swim on top of the scooter right infront of you. We each had one little 'dunnowhats' ride along with us so close you your face you could almost bite them.! You could not shake the lil buggers unless you stopped.. But once you start back up, there they were again, right in your face leading the way! It was WAY cool. The scooter only lasts about 50 minutes with gear on, but hey float at the surface so we just tied them to the flag rope when they died and continued our dive.. Worked out sweet!
Sunday, we did not get going until 10am... I was up and ready to go at 7:30 though. I looked for divers from my patio but saw none. I wanted to do a dive while the others slept.. The rest of my crew did not get in until 5am that moring.. They were not too happy when I opened an air tank valve in their bed to wake them.. But it worked and it serves them right! A few power bars and gatorades later, we were off.
1st dive (93 min), we saw a nurse shark (large) and lots of strangers like 3 large bristle worms and 1 seasnake. I almost cut a boaters anchor off but did not feel like wasting the air. The jackhole cruised his boat right up to our flag. I came up and yelled at him and he was suprised there was a diver.. He said.."I was wondering what a dive flag was doing out here... Whats under there?" I told him to "GET THE F*** AWAY FROM THE FLAG AND GET YOUR F***ING ANCHOR OFF OF THE CORAL YOU (*&^*&%&^$&^$&%*&*&%&^*&^(&(*^*&%&% HOLE!"
Then I gave him the finger the whole time I descended...
The second dive (107 min) was AWESOME because a giant school of bait fish completely surrounded us and circled us for about 15 minutes. I was hanging upside down while they passed though us. It was absolutely magical.. One of my top memories in diving...
Maybe one of these dives we will meet some of you although it was hard enough to keep up with the 4 of us in such low vis. I got my pontoon boat running so I might make some low vis gulf dives this weekend just for the heck of it with my local crew. I wonder just how many tanks and guys does it take to sink a 25' Pontoon boat? I have had up to 12 people, coolers, grill etc.. but never with dive gear (and it was like driving a dock...). I will be back in Lauderdale for a buddies cert dive on the 30th of Aug til Labor day. We will do 2 boat days Sat and Sunday with Lighthouse and a shore day on Monday.
Justin

Jonnyreb once bubbled...
. The jackhole cruised his boat right up to our flag. I came up and yelled at him and he was suprised there was a diver.. He said.."I was wondering what a dive flag was doing out here... Whats under there?"

Welcome to South Fla land of clueless boaters! The boaters use dive flags to find the reef. Jet skiers pluck them off the floats as they go by. I had one guy come up to my dive kayak with the flag flying. "we thought it was abandoned", others just circle it. The ones I really hate are the boats that use the dark and light border between the sand and the first ridge as a navigtion highway right off the shore. They have 50 miles of sea room between FL and the Bahamas, why do they need to run 200 yards off the beach at full speed. Arrrrgh don't get me started.

I started a new thread on the Boat incident and elaborated more on what happened.. Look under Fight with boater in Lauderdale.

Justin

DennisS once bubbled...

The ones I really hate are the boats that use the dark and light border between the sand and the first ridge as a navigtion highway right off the shore. They have 50 miles of sea room between FL and the Bahamas, why do they need to run 200 yards off the beach at full speed. Arrrrgh don't get me started.
Tthose morons were out this weekend.
Sunday afternoon I spent shore side with kiddo and friends. I watched in horror as those morons whipped past dive flags. Geesh. You are so right about them using that as a highway. Even my non diving friends noticed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom