Common Fundies Mistakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not post here very often so excuse me if my post does not follow an organized manner. As someone who has taken GUE Fundamentals I feel that I can offer something useful to this discussion, but I do not have answers for some of the statements that I will make. So please, read my post carfully as I do not wish any hard feelings.

1. Anti Hero - "technical diving: which Fundies was designed as a gateway too." It was my understanding that originally Fundamentals was a workshop; and there wasn't a pass, provisional, fail. It was brought about to show divers the fundamental skill/control components that divers SHOULD have. I think that the purpose of Fundamentals has changed.
2. Peter - "...watcher...didn't stop the doer... We didn't know we were supposed to stop..." This is an extremely important statement to me. If you didn't know you were supposed to stop the drill, why not? Think about this please. Maybe it wasn't learned. Maybe it wasn't taught. Maybe it was said, once, at the begining of day 1. Now it is the end of day 3. All twelve hour days, with 8 hours in the water each day. One mistake, no pass, gateway is now shut. What purpose is served by withholding the pass? Is this really what GUE wants out of the training? For this student to walk away after spending lot's of money traveling, or flying an instructor in, only to have to: travel again, or fly the instructor back and have to pay the instructor again for another evaluation dive? It is in this type of situation that for this diver to hear statements like, "but did you learn alot? ... don't take the class with the goal of passing." that I think Fundamentals as a class misses the point that it was originally designed to make. I think that the point of Fundamentals, as a class was originally designed to make, has changed.
3. Each divers success in a Fundamentals class is now tightly bound to the other divers success in the same class. With varying levels of experience in any one class, how does the instructor evaluate each diver seperately from the team they are in class with? It is not enough to say, "don't let the other divers in your team screw you up in the water." It also in not a fair statement to make that if this were a technical dive would you have managed it well. This is not a technical class, so why evaluate it like one? And for the tech pass: all it means is that you have shown the control to advance into the technical end of the training. Not that you are able/competent/proficient enough to PASS technical training. How could you pass it if you havn't been trained at it yet? If I am incorrect in this last statement I apologize. It seems though that although Fundamentals is NOT a failures based class, that more and more often the students are being shown failure based situations, and if they are not able to manage that situation, which they shouldn't be at this level, they do not earn a pass. Is this what Fundamentals was originally created to do? Or has the focus of Fundamentals changed?
4. One of the things that I have read, and heard, and really got me wanting to take Fundamentals was that I would learn WHY. For every question I could possibly ask, the instructor would teach me WHY. One of the statements that I have read/heard with increasing regularity as of late though is that people didn't learn HOW. Without the HOW part the WHY falls short of true learning. Without the HOW, how does the diver walk out of class with a provisional and practice correctly and re-evaluate in 6 months successfully? Is this what Fundamentals was originally like, or has something changed?
I am not a wise man so I fall short in lot's of things. This next statement may be one of these times when I fall very short, so please help me to understand if I completly miss. It SEEMS that with Fundamental being grown into what it is today, that it was realized that students were getting more information in Fundies. But with so much being dedicated to higher learning, less was being achieved in the water, and the success of the class was diminishing. So Primer was developed as a means of initially showing divers a lot of the HOW components. HOW to do the propulsion techniques, HOW to do the Basic 5 skills, HOW to set up your gear (tying bolt snaps, initially adjusting the harness...), and most importantly to show each diver HOW they look in the water with video. Is this accurate? That with Primer on the map the goal of Fundamentals has changed? Did Fundamentats always have 12+ hours of lectures? How long has Fundamentals also been certifying Nitrox? Gas management, dissimilar tanks? With so much time being spent on these subjects the course loses at least one full day in the water. But it is the control in the water that I THINK is what takes the longest to achieve. Has the focus of Fundamentals shifted to more above water learning, and less in water control because Primer does that now?

Elvis asked
If you didn't know you were supposed to stop the drill, why not?
The simple answer is "I don't know why not" but none of us did know which means it wasn't successfully taught if taught at all. There is, of course, a longer and more complicated answer that isn't particularly relevant to the underlying issue so I'll not get into it.

I will provide the last comment -- the one diver who screwed up the valve drill got a Rec pass (I think after a re-eval and, AFAIK never went for a tech pass -- the other two of us got Tech Passes, the other teammate shortly thereafter and me after quite a bit of time and coaching from the instructor. LET IT BE KNOWN that MY instructor was the most caring, and giving, instructor I have had and he worked with me for quite some time. He is local so he only charged me for gas (car and breathe) for the many subsequent dives. It is, to my mind, very unfortunate he is no longer a GUE instructor.)

Anti wrote
Learning the skills and being able to perform them with precision while tired and under pressure and under stress is key to building the individuals capacity needed for the rigors of technical diving
I totally disagree with this statement. I don't want a teammate on any technical dive who is "tired and under pressure and stress" -- I want that teammate to thumb the dive LONG BEFORE they are there -- even if that means they, or we, don't do the dive!

It is my firm belief that all that happens from being "tired and under pressure and stress" is the capacity for mistakes, and very stupid and dangerous mistakes, increases dramatically. This is exactly my criticism of the current implementation. YMMV

Reactions: Jax
Learning the skills and being able to perform them with precision while tired and under pressure and under stress is key to building the individuals capacity needed for the rigors of technical diving
I totally disagree with this statement. I don't want a teammate on any technical dive who is "tired and under pressure and stress" -- I want that teammate to thumb the dive LONG BEFORE they are there -- even if that means they, or we, don't do the dive!

It is my firm belief that all that happens from being "tired and under pressure and stress" is the capacity for mistakes, and very stupid and dangerous mistakes, increases dramatically. This is exactly my criticism of the current implementation. YMMV

+100 again. I am a pilot and Anti-Hero's statement is the antithesis of all pilot training principles, even more so, airline operating procedures. Many aviation accidents are caused by "tired and under pressure and under stress" pilots who could have easily avoided the situation with better decision making. I know people love to bash PADI, but I think they actually have a better understanding of effective training methods than GUE.

I cannot believe anyone would argue that Fundies wouldn't be a much better class and experience if it were 8hrs per day maximum over more days. The only argument against that is cost. If I were in charge of the GUE curriculum, I would make Fundies a rec only class with Doubles as the additional class if more instruction were desired to achieve a tech pass. Others could just practice/mentor with a primary light and doubles and use the current "re-eval" process.

Just to be clear, I think Fundies skills are fantastic and I only want more people to take it since it will create more excellent divers. My only regret with my experience is that it was not fun because of bad implementation. I want everyone who takes Fundies (with a pass or provisional, fail should not even be an option) to say it was the "funnest" class I ever took, instead of just the "most valuable". Even the "we passed" Fundies reports don't have a strong undercurrent of joy in them. Joy/Fun makes everything better in life IMHO.

Last edited:
+100 again. I am a pilot and Anti-Hero's statement is the antithesis of all pilot training principles, even more so, airline operating procedures. Many aviation accidents are caused by "tired and under pressure and under stress" pilots who could have easily avoided the situation with better decision making. I know people love to bash PADI, but I think they actually have a better understanding of effective training methods than GUE.

I cannot believe anyone would argue that Fundies would be a much better class and experience if it were 8hrs per day maximum over more days. The only argument against that is cost. If I were in charge of the GUE curriculum, I would make Fundies a rec only class with Doubles as the additional class if more instruction were desired to achieve a tech pass. Others could just practice/mentor with a primary light and doubles and use the current "re-eval" process.

Just to be clear, I think Fundies skills are fantastic and I only want more people to take it since it will create more excellent divers. My only regret with my experience is that it was not fun because of bad implementation. I want everyone who takes Fundies (with a pass or provisional, fail should not even be an option) to say it was the "funnest" class I ever took, instead of just the "most valuable". Even the "we passed" Fundies reports don't have a strong undercurrent of joy in them. Joy/Fun makes everything better in life IMHO.

The reality is you will "dive tired" down the road. But nobody needs to build their foundation that way.

Hence the recommendation many posts ago... If you are taking anything in a single tank it should be the Primer. Doubles and "tec passes" in GUE-F should be for people who already know what they are doing.

Its sad that there's so much drama around GUE-F and students need lectures and memos here on what to do/what not to do. This whole thread is just playing up the agony & angst instead of toneing it down and relaxing divers. Its just a class, go to learn like you would any other adult learning course (dance, welding, cooking whatever at e.g. Community College).

Anti wrote I totally disagree with this statement. I don't want a teammate on any technical dive who is "tired and under pressure and stress" -- I want that teammate to thumb the dive LONG BEFORE they are there -- even if that means they, or we, don't do the dive!

Nice strawman, but that's not what my point was at all. Nobody said you should do a technical dive with someone tired and under stress. But if you train in such a way that you can perform under those conditions, than many of the conditions you WILL encounter will not be perceived as stressful as they might had you not had high intensity training.

Furthermore, I think this falls into the very definition of the "incident pit" used in the Fundies lecture material (around hour 14 of the first day, if I recall correctly :wink:) That said, in my Fundies class, days were long, but all in-water activity was done at the start of the day, so we were considerably less tired. Lectures and what-not commenced after the diving was done.

But if you train in such a way that you can perform under those conditions, than many of the conditions you WILL encounter will not be perceived as stressful as they might had you not had high intensity training.

Agreed. In more than half of my tech classes I was tired and under stress by the time we got halfway through. But I don't dive the same way for fun like we did in class.

Yeah and maybe why at least in some areas UTD Essentials has become the "prep class" for Fundies. I mean seriously, any agency that needs a whole different group of instructors (UTD) and/or a huge community of "mentors" to orientate their students prior to taking their supposedly "Fundemental" course needs to re-evaluate WTF they are doing. The preparation, drama and angst over GUE-F is totally out of hand.

One reason why UTD Essentials of Rec has become a popular prep/primer/intro-to-"DIR" sort of thing in some areas is that it's much more permissive. Obviously it's not a pass/fail course, but the gear requirements are also not nearly so strict for Essentials of Rec, which allows more people to take it and start developing basic buoyancy, trim, and propulsion skills prior to making a (potentially) significant outlay for new compliant equipment.

One reason why UTD Essentials of Rec has become a popular prep/primer/intro-to-"DIR" sort of thing in some areas is that it's much more permissive. Obviously it's not a pass/fail course, but the gear requirements are also not nearly so strict for Essentials of Rec, which allows more people to take it and start developing basic buoyancy, trim, and propulsion skills prior to making a (potentially) significant outlay for new compliant equipment.

Yes I know. Andrew figured out how to structure courses to maximize success a long time ago. Essentials has been split off from Intro to Tech for >5yrs. There's no pass-fail stigma. No need for a bunch of potentially cost prohibitive equipment for a new <60ft OW diver who just wants to be on the right track. No 25 dive "Rec-Pass" students vs. mixed in with "Tech-pass" students. The agency lawyer doesn't sit on the pool-side with 1/2 the students. No 5 day marathon classes. No 6 month provisionals. With UTD there's just less stupid administrative stuff that doesn't have anything to do with learning how to dive well. Honestly UTD has been selling way too much crap lately. BUT Andrew does know learning theory and how to structure Rec1/Essentials/Intro-to-Tech/Tech1 courses and match student goals with course expectations really well. And his online learning materials put everyone else's to shame.

This thread/sticky is necessary because GUE-F is not inherently structured for success. And this is the agency's responsibility, not the student's.

Everybody has their own individual position, but I for one kinda like the Hell Week style of GUE classes (having taken Fundies and observed parts of both T1 and T2 courses). In the military, a lot of the training we do takes place when we're cold, tired, angry, yada yada yada. If you can perform to standard under suboptimal conditions then actions are no problem when you're fresh. And the more elite a unit is, the worse their training conditions were.

I think it's good to see if you hit a breaking point in training where the risks are much less, versus finding out in the middle of a big dive where consequences could be much worse.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom