Common sources for plastic shim material?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, for a current project I'm looking for sheets of plastic in fairly specific thicknesses (but not, say, to aerospace specs) that I can use as shims. (I have a stack of brass shim material, but want to use plastic in this case.) Ideally I'm looking for 1/16" thick material. The local hobby store has some sheets of clear plastic that are .03" thick -- and thus I could use two layers for what I'm looking for. But before I buy it, I wonder if there are any other industries or household areas where shim material is common? I'd prefer to find something local as opposed to having to get mail order from a specialty source. Thanks for any ideas!

Don't know if they have them out west but WoodCraft has HDPE shim stock for tools around the wood-shop.

Look at McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com. You have to know the type of plastic, but you should be able to find 1/16" stock readily available in a variety of materials.

Frank O:
Hi all, for a current project I'm looking for sheets of plastic in fairly specific thicknesses (but not, say, to aerospace specs) that I can use as shims. (I have a stack of brass shim material, but want to use plastic in this case.) Ideally I'm looking for 1/16" thick material. The local hobby store has some sheets of clear plastic that are .03" thick -- and thus I could use two layers for what I'm looking for. But before I buy it, I wonder if there are any other industries or household areas where shim material is common? I'd prefer to find something local as opposed to having to get mail order from a specialty source. Thanks for any ideas!
As mentioned www.mcmaster.com
Look at item 9513K42 on page 3456. It's a book set of mostly polyester shims. Everywhere I've worked we've 'kept a book around.

Pete

Not sure how cheesey you want to go. You could always buy a plastic cutting board used in the kitchen. Can find them everywhere and you could cut it down to what you need. My 2 cents!

Old credit cards, cash cards and card keys work quite well and seem to resist cold flow at moderate loads. AOL CDs are a good free source of slightly thicker polycarbonate material.

Lexan can be had in almost any thickness you'd want, but that is normally a cash deal. I find GE plastics will generally have what I need somewhere in their system.

FT

Supply houses such as Grainger sometimes have plastic sheet but it will probably be larger than you need. You might try Home Depot. They may have some for a large host of reasons (floor mats, plumbing supplys, bathrooms, etc.). What do you want to use it for? Does it have to be UV stable?

The place I use for all my plastic needs is Tap Plastics: www.tapplastics.com. They have a local store by me, as well as doing mail order, and have been more than happy to rough cut whatever I need.

What's really cool is that they have a scrap bin in their store where it's $1 per pound, for whatever cutoffs are in the bin. I almost always can find enough in their scrap bin to finish my projects, as long as I'm not picky about colors :)

Places that build Aluminum and glass enclosures or store fronts use plastic shims. I've seen sizes from 1/16" up to 1/2". The ones I've seen are horseshoe shaped, but can be easily cut.

Back
Top Bottom