Question “Comp, “own” and “owl”. This was on my padi dive card for dives in Hawaii I did in Feb. Idk what those terms mean or how to record this in my SSI log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebSchellhorn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
“Comp”, “own” and “owl”. These we written on dive card for dive we did in Hawaii in Feb. didn’t record dive then. Now can’t figure out what those acronyms mean. I am SSI not PADi and I have about 16 dives. Learning. Be kind to me.

By dive card do you mean a piece of paper the dive shop gave you as a record of the dive? Maybe post a picture? Are those items on a checklist? Some versions of a dive log have check boxes for things like Computer, which could be "Comp". OWN and OWL are a little harder to decipher, but OW often means Open Water, so perhaps that's a clue. Could be something like open water number or license....

By dive card do you mean a piece of paper the dive shop gave you as a record of the dive? Maybe post a picture? Are those items on a checklist? Some versions of a dive log have check boxes for things like Computer, which could be "Comp". OWN and OWL are a little harder to decipher, but OW often means Open Water, so perhaps that's a clue. Could be something like open water number or license....
Yes, the dive master wrote it on the card. I should probably just call the shop in Hawaii. I think OW open water makes sense. Just not the n w after the OW.
Can you see it?
1711406207629.jpeg

Looking at that card...
COMP is Computer. As in you logged it on the computer
The OWx is "OWN" as in Owner has the information. Same as Computer above. Just whoever was filling out the cards has there own way of doing it.

Considering the stack of these cards they are filling out on top of everything else they are doing, they are taking a few shortcuts. You have the information yourself on your own computer. They don't need to run around and look at everyone's computer to get exactly what it says. For example you did a generic 30 foot dive, but you only went 28 feet, or maybe you went 32 feet. It is a lot of work to get everyone's computer and that depth and time. Shortcut to tell you to look at the log on your own computer.

That makes sense. Thank you for your help. I hope I didn’t break any rules by posting the cards. It was a very cold night on the dive boat when we revived those cards.

Looking at that card...
COMP is Computer. As in you logged it on the computer
The OWx is "OWN" as in Owner has the information. Same as Computer above. Just whoever was filling out the cards has there own way of doing it.

Considering the stack of these cards they are filling out on top of everything else they are doing, they are taking a few shortcuts. You have the information yourself on your own computer. They don't need to run around and look at everyone's computer to get exactly what it says. For example you did a generic 30 foot dive, but you only went 28 feet, or maybe you went 32 feet. It is a lot of work to get everyone's computer and that depth and time. Shortcut to tell you to look at the log on your own computer.
That makes sense for "OWN," but what's "OWL"? Owner's Log, maybe?

OWL = OWN. OWN & COMP means get the data from your own computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom