compact camera board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been using a g12 for years, perfect battery life (I dive even 3h) and perfect focal length but now it's an old model. I also have a sony rx100v with which I feel bad about macro and autonomy. I would like to change both but I can't find the right camera. I shoot mainly macro, even pushed, so I would need a focal length of at least 100mm. I'm evaluating the g5x mk2 and the g7x mk3, unique with a 100mm zoom but I think they have a too limited battery. I would also like to use them for wide even if only on vacation once a year. I absolutely don't consider models like the sony rx100vi where you need to replace the portlight. I'm also thinking of an em5 mk2 with 60 macros but it stops me being then limited in the shot. How much qualitative difference would I find in macro between the g5x2 and the em5mk2 with the 60 macro? is worth?
I could have an em5mk2 with a meikon diving suit and 60 macro at 600 €. ( all used )
For the g5x I should take everything new (ikelite diving suit) or wait to find something used (hard to find housing).
Or g7x3 and ghost housing used in a while ...

I think for macro, the Olympus will be the better bet. The 60 macro lens is brilliant and you will be able to shoot 17 mm more or less full frame. Battery life is OK, not spectacular (at least for me). The DXO scores for the Olympus are 71 and for the Canon only 62 which is a considerable difference. I have shot the Olympus extensively and for that price you will have a great system for macro. WA will be another issue though.
Bill

With the 60mm macro you can get life size - 17mm subject fills frame on horizontal axis, the Nauticam CMC-1 gives 2.0x with this lens 9.0 mm across frame. You can add that lens to the G7x, RX-100 etc and get good magnification but even with the CMC-1 you only reach 19mm at best across the frame(only on G7X). Note that you get more working distance with the 60mm macro bare than you do with any of the compact cameras with a CMC-1 at close to the same magnification.

Some data for CMC-1 is here:
Nauticam Compact Macro Converter CMC-1

Be aware though that you need a port that fits the lens well , if it sits back in the port you won't get as much magnification. You may need to check the Meikon port will work well if you wanted to use a CMC-1 with the 60mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom