Comparing Doppler's class and GUE's DIRf class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish once bubbled...
Doppler,

Just for the record if I have a completely fit, mentally stable, keen 18 to 35 year old diver on no meds with a few hundred Ontario dives under his or her belt who would like to improve his or her skills but who is a smoker, would you consider the student for your course?

I see quite a few open minded, keen, very fit smoking fire and police recruits who either want to dive or are interested in furthering their skills past the traditional PADI/NAUI dive pathways. It would be great to have a person I can send them to where they will feel welcome and have a good positive role model to show them the ropes.

Thanks,
Puffer

Excellent question Puffer...

I have knowingly taught two smokers during the almost ten years I have been teaching technical diving... one of them is a guy I dive with often on "big" trips... he is a caver and an excellent team player on deep wreck dives.

He does not smoke near me (I can't abide it) and frankly, for his age, he seems fit and his abilities and attitude do not seem to me to have suffered from the fact that we often throw his cigarettes overboard!

He has also taken and passed a GUE course.
:)

Back to your question... Complex Issue. Made more complex by the science you have refered to and the simple truth that physiology is never a black and white issue... give me physics every time!

If I really had my way, I would not teach anyone who swore, smoked, drank, ate read meat, and who could not play a passable 12-bar in B-Flat with a neat cromatic turn-around.

Given your parameters, I'd have to say what's the issue... since I don't allow smoking around me in the class, in the field or on a boat! Would I teach them... well, they could do what a lot of people do and fib to me about their personal habits...

Oh and for the record... I occasionally drink too much single malt scotch, have smoked a cigar, sworn -- I was born in London's dock area -- have eaten red meat when the hostess offered it and doesn't know I'm buddhist, and daily play one or other of my guitars when it's out of tune!!! :D

Take care

Doppler once bubbled...

Oh and for the record... I occasionally drink too much single malt scotch, have smoked a cigar, sworn -- I was born in London's dock area -- have eaten red meat when the hostess offered it and doesn't know I'm buddhist, and daily play one or other of my guitars when it's out of tune!!! :D

Damn .... you really had me going there. Before you added the last i was thinking, strike one, strike two, strike three, strike etc .... on my chances of getting Doppler to teach me anything.

I was going to explain to you that most if not all the mentioned vices are requisite in playing a mean blues harmonica .... the only instrument i ever mastered.

But it sounds like you already understand that. :wink:

pufferfish once bubbled...
Hey Dan that wasn't fair as you only had to type eight words on that one and have Col. Cluster helping you out with research :wink:

Very interesting article however it seems to be written soley to support a predetermined conclusion, that of GUE's position that smokers shouldn't dive. Once again let me state my position that I don't smoke and I think smoking is one of the most nasty habits there is, but that being said I still don't think the policy of excluding perfectly healthy, fit, young smokers from your course is a great idea or likely convincing if it was ever challenged legally.

Hi Puffer,

So let me get this right..just because you do not like the profession of the person who wrote the article you dismiss the validity of the article? How about the rest of the very well know researchers and professionals and the thousands of man days that went into the conclusions of the following refercences listed in the original article? Hmm, Puffer you have absolutely no credibilty in this as you have yet to list a single researched and published paper on the premis that smoking is not detrimental to ones health and that it poses no heath risk when diving. Here is my argument in nauseating detail if you wish to read them.

1. Freund Karen MD et al. The health risks of smoking, The Framingham study: 34 years of follow-up AEP Vol. 3, No. 4 July 1993 417-424
2. American Heart Association. Environmental Tobacco Smoke, Heart and Stoke Guide 1998
3. American Lung Association. Smoking Fact Sheet 1998
4. Sorle Paul. Influence of cigarette smoking on lung function at baseline and follow-up in 14 years: The Framingham study J. Chron Dis Vol. 40, No. 9 pp. 849-856 1987
5. Olofson J. Mortality related to smoking habits, respiratory symptoms and lung function. Eur J Respir Dis (1987) 71, 69-76
6. Wolf Philip MD. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor for stroke: The Framingham Study. JAMA Feb. 19, 1988-Vol 259, No. 7
7. Tager Ira B. Effect of cigarette smoking on the pulmonary function of children and adolescents. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985 131:752-759
8. Beck Gerald Smoking and lung function Am Rev Respir Dis. 1981 Feb;123(2):149-55.
9. Castelli William P. MD Diet, smoking, and alcohol: Influence on coronary heart disease risk. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Vol. XVI, No. 4 Suppl 1 (October) 1990: pp 41-46
10. Kwiathkowski, Timothy C. Cigarette smoking and its orthopedic consequences. Amer J Orthop 1996 Sept 25(9) 590-
11. Slolnick, ET Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and the risk of adverse respiratory events in children receiving general anesthesia. Anesthesiology 1998 May:88(5):1144-53
12. Anderson HR Passive smoking and sudden infant death syndrome: review of the epidemiological evidence. Thorax 1997 Nov;52(11):1003-9
13. Valkonen M, Passice smoking induces atherogenic changes in low-density lipoprotein. Circulation 1998 May 26;97(20):2012-6
14. Chan D Cigarette smoking and age related macular degeneration Optom Vis Sci 1998 July;75(7):476-84
15. Solberg Y The association between cigarette smoking and ocular diseases. Surv Opthalmol 1998 May-Jun;42960:535-47
16. American Lung Association Fact Sheet: Second Hand Smoke 1998
17. Hackshaw AK Lung cancer and passive smoking Stat Methods Med Res 1998 Jun;7(20):119-36
18. Armin Ernst, MD Carbon Monoxide Poisoning NEJM Vol. 339, No. 22, Nov. 26, 1998 pp. 1603-8
19. Timisjarvi J et. al. Effect of smoking on the central circulation at rest and during exercise as studied by radiocardiograpy. Mukliarmedizin 1980;19(50:239-43
20. Sommese Teresa MD et al. Acute effects of cigarette smoking withdrawal: Review of the literature. Aviation, space and Environmental Medicine Feb. 1995 pp. 164-7
21. West Robert Ph.D. What happened to anxiety levels on giving up smoking? Am J Psychiatry 154:11 Nov. 1997 1589-92
22. Wilmshurst P Role of cardio-respiratory abnormalities, smoking and dive characteristics on the manifestations of neurological decompression illness. Clin Sci 1994 Mar;86(3):297-303
23. Brodbeck John R. et al. Best and Taylor's Physiological Basic of Medical Practice Ninth Edition Williams and Wilkins Company. 1973

Care to dismiss these gentlemen and ladies as well? As I asked you in an earlier discussion show me the smoking gun dude. Show me your research rather than anecdotal ramblings.

As far a GUE being taken to task for not teaching non-smokers that is an entirely different issue. Just because it *may* be perceived that it is against someones legal rights not to teach them due to their smoking habit that has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with whether or not smoking is detrimental to your health let alone measurable increased risk of DCS among other things. Your right to swing your fist ends just prior to where it meets my nose.

From what I have seen from your method of argument even Bennet and Elliot would be wrong if you happened to have a differing anectdotal opinion.

I bow in supplication to your greater knowledge. I am wrong, you must be right! Smoking must be a good thing. Why I wonder did I feel so much better when I gave it up 18 years ago? Hmmm maybe you can tell me. Sheese. It does no good for me to discuss anything with you Puffer as the old saying is never truer when it comes to you.. A man convinced against his will is of his own opinion still. I have finished responding to this smoking question as since you are supporting the untenable position that smoking is good then this is a waste of bandwidth and my time.

Safe dives,

Dan

Doppler once bubbled...

and daily play one or other of my guitars when it's out of tune!!! :D

Take care

That's it! Everything else was forgivable (except for the scotch, which was admirable), but this is beyond the pale. Two hours of listening to Yani and John Tesh for you!!!

Kevin Ripley once bubbled...
So let me get this straight...

It's ok to train smokers as long as they are breathing air filtered to Z180 standards? :D

Kevin

Rip,
You missed 'overweight'
Outside of which you covered it all except in parting

"God bless the pagens"

Catch you on the flip side dude.

gedunk once bubbled...

The citizenry has the right to take issue with GUE's standards. Power to the people, man!

A different perspective is nice sometimes. :)

I think we have found the logo for the next tee shirt.
Thanks dude

Dan MacKay once bubbled...

I have finished responding to this smoking question as since you are supporting the untenable position that smoking is good then this is a waste of bandwidth and my time.

Safe dives,

Dan

Dude,
I warned you both this morning that this was a waste of time. You have a supposed doctor advocating obesity and smoking. And just when you thought it could not get any funnier. And nobody has yet mentioned "teaching pigs to fly"

Oops!!! It looks like I just did.=-)

Catch you on the flip side too

The trick to teaching pigs to fly is pretty easy. For a small nominal fee I can assist you in this endevor. The bonus is that the ones that fail at flying lessons can be turned into useful by products, ie bacon, chops, ribs, roast, ham etc etc etc.

:flyer:

Tom

Kevin Ripley once bubbled...
So let me get this straight...

It's ok to train smokers as long as they are breathing air filtered to Z180 standards? :D

Kevin

Yup just like it is okay to train non-smokers at NTD and let them breath air tested by an unaccredited lab which is unable to reliably test for CO, oil, and particulates. And who was talking about tar coated bronchioles and CO filled aveoli. :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom