Comparing focus lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am about ready to invest in a focus light for my G10/Ikelite housing rig, and I have narrowed it down to two candidates. The NANO focus light is cheaper, but it lists an illumination strength of 18,000 MCD, (whatever that means..). I tend to lean towards the Big Blue AL 1x5 MAFO light, which is rated at 250 lumens. Any idea how these two compare? I believe they both have auto shut off during strobe firing to eliminate hot spots, which was a big problem for me with my old setup of a UK mini Q40 light strapped to the tray handle of the rig and shining out onto the target. Any advice will be appreciated. Woody

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 07:28 PM ----------

I noticed a lot of people reading this thread, but no responses yet, so I did a little more research and this is what I found. MCD stands for millicandelas, which is a standard method of measuring LED output. It appears you can covert from MCD to lumens by dividing by 79.5544, (if I have this right..) so the lumens output of the Big blue light is 250 and the output of the Nano light is about 226 lumens. This puts the two lights as comparable in light output, with a slight edge to the Big Blue light. So, does anyone have any practical experience with these two little fellows? Woody

I had the Nano on my Canon P&S rig, and it was OK at best. Very short range as I recall, and in general I had to question it's effectiveness, so I would not recommend it.
I have the bigger-Big Blue FF 1x5W AFO (possibly the same 5W LED as the AL), and it is great. Much brighter than the Nano, but it's huge by comparison (4x AA vs 4x AAA). Granted, my camera is now better, but I would think the BB is the better choice.
*I don't think the units of lumens can be simply converted to candela.

The Big Blue AL is a great light and the new updated version is very small. Shorter than the Nano. The Nano is rated at 30lumens and the Big Blue is 250lumens. Another great light is the UK if it is in the budget: Focus/Video Lights :: Focus Lights -

We just shot new photos for this Focus Light Test but as far as the Big Blue AL goes, same light just smaller form now. Note the Nano is not on the chart as it was not strong enough to register in this test.

http://opticaloceansales.com/files/Focus-Light-Beam-Test.pdf

You want something with a wide beam and at least 300 lumens so that you can aim the camera and forget the focus light
I am pleased with the epoque el1000 a105 we bought is costs less than $200 and has 1000 lumens and is dimmable with a 105 coverage it is a great light also for video

I would buy a SOLA light, light, easy to charge, 3 settings cna also be used for video and as a dive light

I had a Hartenberger Nano focus light and I traded it for a Sola 1200. I got tired of the battery packs going bad at almost 200.00 a pop. I did quarterly charges to keep the batteries exercised. They were just a pain.

I have the Fantasea Nano. While it may be OK for someone in clear tropical waters, it's not bright enough to focus anything here. It's good for lighting up my compass at night, though.

I have the Laluz L800 (800 lumens) which comes with a red filter and a rechargeable battery and charger for $200. They are currently out of production as they are bringing out 2 new lights in May (1000 and 5000 lumens). You can adjust L800 for 3 different outputs. I have been very happy with mine. They do not auto shut off but if the light is diffuse enough which this one is if you use the red filter or the diffuser (80 degrees without filter and 100 degrees I believe with the filter), then the auto shut off is not really an issue. You can also use it as a video light for macro. It also comes with a wrist lanyard and makes a great torch which will run for about an hour at full power.

The LaLuz Optics L1000 will be available very soon and will cost the same as the L800, i.e. $200. I am very satisfied with my L800. The L1000 will be even better. There is no hot spot.

Hi Woodman.
If you want a focusing light only, the Big Blue AL 1x5 is a great option. powerful enough for what is intended for and it comes with the sensor to cut it of when the strobe fires to prevent hot spots. It comes with the YS mount and can be used as dive torch as well. The Nano is definitely underpopulated.
If you plan to do some video as well as stills, the UK Aqualite video 90 is an inexpensive option. will double as video and focusing light, is just a bit longer than the Nano and it comes with 2 rechargeable batteries. On the down side, it will not cut off when the flash fires.
One great advantage of this light is the dome on the front glass. this will maintain the beam angle underwater.
The light comes with 2 screws and it can be mounted to any 1" ball joint arm by using the ULCS BA-AQN that fits directli to the light body.
There is a good review and comparason with the Inon LE700W (which is another good option) on this site written y a colleague of mine.
QUICK TEST: UNDERWATER KINETICS AQUALITE VIDEO VS INON LE700-W VIDEO LIGHTS | Deepshots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom