Comparing focus lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Woodman.
I haven't seen the LaLuz option but I have use the Nano and the Bigblue AL 1x5 AFO LED a lot.
The Nano is definitely under power and I would not recommend it. The Big Blue is a very nice light and it has the cut off option.
If you want to use the light for some video as well as to aid the focusing, you will need more power and a larger beam.
To keep the size of the system small, you can have a look at the UK Aqualite Video 90.
A very small but powerful video light that has a dome port instead of a flat glass. This will maintain the beam angle at 90 degrees underwater.
It comes with a charger and a spare battery and at least in the UK is just over £200.00
Inon has a decent light, the LE700 W that will double as video and focusing light.
You can find an interesting review and comparison between this 2 options on the following link:[h=2]QUICK TEST: UNDERWATER KINETICS AQUALITE VIDEO VS INON LE700-W VIDEO LIGHTS | Deepshots[/h] The Sola range is great but is expensive and you will need a power socket to charge the light in between dives which in my opinion is a huge disadvantage unless you tend to dive on liveaboards.

I need a second light for video and have some concerns about unbalanced light if I buy the L1000. I may buy a second L800 with the diffuser. Not sure how much the diffuser reduces the power. Not sure if this makes sense or just buy the L1000 with the L800. I am going to Turks in late May so I hope it is available soon. When I wrote in late March I was told availability had been delayed a month so I hope it is available in early May.

I doubt if you can buy the L800. It seems to have been discontinued. I wouldn't think you will need the diffuser on the L1000. The difference between the L800 and the L1000 can hardly be noticeable, surely?

I doubt if you can buy the L800. It seems to have been discontinued. I wouldn't think you will need the diffuser on the L1000. The difference between the L800 and the L1000 can hardly be noticeable, surely?

The website suggests that the L800 is out of stock but if the L1000 is going to be the same price, then I am inclined to agree that it may now be discontinued. I am not sure how much the difference will be. If I can run both lights without diffusers, then I agree the difference should not be that significant.

In most cases, good video lighting from two lights is not completely balanced, if you look at the video on our website most was shot with two lights but often at different power. As for focus lights you might take a look at the Nocturnal Lights as well. I have most of the lights listed here, Sola, I-torch, Big Blue, Nocturnal and they are all good with +/- for each. In general though I don't like proprietary batteries much (too many chargers) so am still looking for the "best" light that can use rechargeable AAs.

Bill

On the subject of focus lights, how do you secure them? I have no cold shoe mount and only a flex arm for my strobe. What is the preferred method?

On the subject of focus lights, how do you secure them? I have no cold shoe mount and only a flex arm for my strobe. What is the preferred method?

I use a double tray with the strobe on the left side flex arm and a smaller flex arm for the focus light on the right. Anyone have opinions on strobes with a built in focus light?

I used to put a triple clamp above the handle on one of my strobe arms. Then I had a short arm section that attached to my focus light. It put it near the middle of my housing. Then, I sent my housing back for a "cold" shoe to be installed on top of my housing. That simplified the focus light set-up.

Anyone have opinions on strobes with a built in focus light?

I don't use it. Often the strobe will be pointed in an inconvenient angle. By having a focus light just above the lens, you get a straight shot to whatever you're focusing on. That's an important reason to have a light with a circuit that cuts out as the strobe fires, otherwise you'll have backscatter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom