Comparing the Sierra to the Zuexo Xjoy 14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend who has a few Sierras in his shop & they seem to always be under repair for one thing or another, compared to the Gavins and Silent Subs he also has which are fairly reliable

My guess is the smaller *much lighter* Sierra's get used a lot more. Scooters that don't often leave the shop don't need any service.

My three Dive X scoots have been highly reliable, and we dive them in pretty challenging conditions.

Tobin

This leads me to a question as well. Why doesn't the Tahoe benchmark testing include average battery run time? Having the distance is great but I have no way to measure the distance of my dives. I will buy a scooter based on how long it will run at full speed and at cruising speed as well as minimum speed.
I need to know I can get x minutes at full speed and y minutes at slow speed.

The TBM provides range at max speed, and range at Cruise.

The max speed is specified, XXfpm for Y miles. Battery runtime is then no more than (Range in miles x 5280)/ speed in feet per minute

The cruise speed is specified at 150 fpm for and the derived range is provided in miles. Battery runtime is again (Range in miles x 5280)/ 150 fpm.

Tobin

Well, now at least everyone knows how mathematically challenged I am. Thank you for the simple explanation.

My guess is the smaller *much lighter* Sierra's get used a lot more

No. The DPVs that live in the shop are mostly privately owned & used by their owners, although some are available for rental/class use as well. The shop is about 20 metres from the shore and the boat boys carry them to the boat, so size & weight doesn't really come into it. The anecdotal evidence is that the Sierras are less reliable than the Gavins & Silent Subs, however it's a relatively small sample and as always YMMV

No. The DPVs that live in the shop are mostly privately owned & used by their owners, although some are available for rental/class use as well. The shop is about 20 metres from the shore and the boat boys carry them to the boat, so size & weight doesn't really come into it. The anecdotal evidence is that the Sierras are less reliable than the Gavins & Silent Subs, however it's a relatively small sample and as always YMMV

That's pretty hard to believe.

The Sierra's share the same prop, and seal design with the Gavins et al, beyond that they are a far simpler design with very little that can go wrong.

Tobin

I'm just telling it as it was related to me... in fact I will quote from an e-mail:

"...we've generally seen more problems with X-Scooters than others, though their size and portability is obviously good for small boat diving. The SS scoots seems to have a very high build quality..."

You can choose to take it at face value or not - and like I said YMMV

Maybe the Sierras being referred to are older, or done more dives, I don't know. I also didn't ask what sort of problems they were having, whether it's seals or motors or something else. When I did my orientation I wanted to try one but they were all in bits

Having gotten more than a little off track though. No one has knowledge of both scooters and can tell me why they prefer one over the other?

Having gotten more than a little off track though. No one has knowledge of both scooters and can tell me why they prefer one over the other?

I'd suggest waiting for the results of the 2011 Tahoe Bench Mark.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom