Compass 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joewr--lock, stock and compass box! But that is no reason for Warhammer to pick on me!

Joewr

Whatever. The damn thing never points in the direction I'm going anyway. :^)

Neil

Omar is right, magnetic north changes over time, over many many years, south and north reverse, but that is a very slow process. Magnetic north is actually somewhere in the region of Hudson Bay here in Canada, so if you were in the far north, north would be south if you get what I mean. I doubt that this all will be a problem for divers, but it is interesting to read about.

Canuk(ian),

I thought Omar was a tent maker, not a compass maker. Was I wrong? A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and my compass?
That does not sound right!

So, that's your problem: you think Canada is South of Cleveland because Hudson Bay is being dragged north by the magnetic fields in the Territories? At last I understand!

Thank you!

Joewr

Kane(adian),
You missed my point, which was to point out that the point made by Omar missed the point brought up by Mario in the first place, which was mag *dip* not variation, and therefore had answered a question not asked, making the post pointless and wasn't the point of the thread, whether true or not. Besides, here in the backwaters of Alabama, magnetic variation is zero anyway, which isn't the point either, but is interesting nonetheless... :)
Rick

Now maybe that will explain my buddy's navigation issues :). Her compass is always a little askew, but then again she (& the compass) is from California. Land of Joewr and Mad Mario.

-kate

I now close this thread.

Because:

I am not sure that Rick pointed out his point pointedly
and
the only thing that they *dip* in LA is snuff
and
scubarat put me in the same category as Mad Mario, an insult to both of us

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!(with apologies to Gasman for using upper case letters.)

Joewr (just obeying orders from Ladydiver)

Reminds me of when I got my captains license. Having to correct for not only the poles and location but the boat itself. Some sort of test was required every few years for the boats compass. It really is realitive though... if you head south on your compass, coming back it will be north... now on the same dive.. if I follow you and we are going say west... well I'll be coming home to the east baby...

by the way.. this is such a small number like usually 1-3 degree's off that it's not really a big deal...

You forgot to put that yellow scuba tank by this closed thread.
I read the bit by Suunto. I read my text book about compasses from my flying days. Here is my take on what Suunto had to say about their patented global needle. Make the chamber the needle is in deeper and wallah no needle drag.

Jay Da'Bee,

Me forget! Never! Let's see, where did I put those reading glasses?

Did they actually get a patent for that? Or are you jerkin' my chain. Warhammer did that last night and there is a cooling off period that Board rules require. I quote:

Rule 78b-6176(36d), Section 24: After Joewr's chain has been jerked, all Board users and members must lay off for 24 hours, minimum. The only exception to the rule is the so-called, "Ladydiver Exception". That states that, "Ladydiver can and may, from time to time jerk Joewr's chain (gently) when, and only when, she has her red editing pencil in hand,"

That's it, Jay. Ya gotta know the rules.

This Thread is closed, yellow tank or not!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom