Compass 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, no, no Butch, it's not "What's the point?" - it's "Where's the point?"
*That's* the point.
Rick
(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I do not want to point any fingers (well, maybe one finger--old digitus impunitus--Latin for, "impudent finger"--guess which one...), but I very pointedly closed this thread a long time ago.

I think that Rick made the point, while pointing at Mad Mario, that our pointy legs were being pulled. SO, I OFFICIALLY POINT TO THE YELLOW TANK AND CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, LadyDiver, just how do I make the yellow tank work? No, I am not Nitrox certified. Oh, I see, just push the Esc key and the Ctrl key and the Alt key simultaneously. Okay, here goes.........

Looks to me like someone is obsessed with closing a thread... we wouldn't be letting the new found power get to our heads now would we?

Mario, my wet-suited hero!

How could you say that in public? Think of what the neighbors will say? And what about the Texans? And KN and LD? Say you don't mean it!!!!!!!!!!!

Joewr--wondering why his computer screen went blank....

First I thought both Ontario Diver and Omar were the most lucid on the ins and outs of compasses... either could be my point man.

As for the anchor/etc affecting your compass... you would have to be VERY close. The effects of magnets and their influences diminish by the square of the distance. And while not entirely ferrous, the earth is still a tad bigger magnet than an anchor. Just a tad, though…

As for Joewr... I see YOUR point, but if you comb your hair j-u-s-t right...

No one will notice...

Your point that is...

:tease:

It's the distance, as mentioned above.
I have a habit of descending down my anchor line, so when I get to the bottom and my buddy & I are ready, I usually reset the anchor, relax a second, then take a fix before I go, so I was generally within a foot or two of teh anchor. Now I purposefully move away, ensure the compass is level, and then take a fix.

Back
Top Bottom