Compass - don't buy this kind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C8X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I first bought my own gear I got a suunto spg + gekko in a 2-pc combo console, and then bought a simple suunto wrist compass. It works okay but it's not that nice to use, it doesn't have headings printed on the bezel so the current heading isn't at the top of the bezel where I expect it to be, it feels unnatural, I'm not too bad at land nav and am used to the bezel showing the current heading up front.

Anyway, I went to my LDS and bought an "Aquanaut" compass, a big beefy thing that resembles the Suunto SK7 closely, I figured it would be as good and I think the wrist strapped Suunto SK7 compass they had there looked too expensive and was too bulky.

As I wasn't leading many dives at all I rarely used the compass for a period but then in anticipation of my AOW I started using it more and found it very unpleasant, there was just something about it reacting slowly or sometimes seeming to point in the wrong direction. Eventually during the NAV course I got sick of it and went back to the basic Suunto.

Recently while shopping for other bits and pieces I saw this product from Dive Rite and couldn't believe it was the exact same crap compass I'm trying to get rid of. Dive Rite Compass reviews and discounts, Dive Rite Nothing against Scubatoys at all, I just expected higher standards from a name like Dive Rite, I wonder if anyone tested the product. I felt better after reading the reviews and seeing that other agreed!

I bought mine in Australia and it was branded Aquanaut, but the back just says Made In Taiwan. I don't think I have the packaging anymore but I could only hope it's balanced for Australia. It doesn't seem to get stuck or tilt at all so I think it is balanced for Zone 5, it's just hella slow like the needle card has way too much weight and not nearly enough magnetic pull.

I've seen it get stuck backwards - like N pointing S and it teeters on the brink for a few seconds before starting to rotate back around, and when it gets around to N it overshoots by more than 30 degrees, like a pendulum, comes back to N, overshoots a few degrees, then settles on N. It's like a flywheel where you really don't want to have one.

This is the most poor excuse for a navigation tool I've seen, I'm sorry I spent money on it, I'll bring it in to the LDS even though it's over a year old and at least try to convince them not to sell this type anymore. The fact is I'm not that comfortable with my u/w navigation, this thing certainly hasn't been helping me, and I have definitely had it steer me wrong when I looked down too quickly, the needle card was stopped but it was in one of its 30 deg overswings and i didn't watch it long enough to see it start swinging back to north.

Rant over, watch this video and count it -- 10 seconds to resolve a heading when the needle start at 180 , compared to the Suunto's 4 seconds. That's a lot of time to sit still and look at your arm u/w, (and while trying to fight currents and communicate with a buddy)

YouTube - scuba compass comparison

Sorry, but that's a Dive Wrong compass. Don't buy one. I've got a DSS SK7 boot/bungee on the way.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the Suunto M9 wrist compass, it's butt simple, inexpensive, and accurate.
Suunto Wrist Compass

thecompassstore_2032_15662397

I have a Suunto compass on a retractor that I keep clipped to my recreeational BC. It is rather big bulky, but that large "container" (for lack of a better word) for the floating disc keeps the compass from locking up, even when held at a 450. In fact they are nearly impossible to lock up unless you are holding them almost straight up & down on the edge. The shallower compasses have a bad habit of locking up (as I've also used the standard console mounted compasses). They just don't hav ethe room for the disc to freely move around.

I have the sk-7 in a DSS bungee mount. Have been using it for over 2 years now. Best investment I've ever made. I have one of those generic/branded units in my pool rig console. Not even close to the Suunto in terms of response time. I do not use anything but wrist mounts in open water.

I find the compass mentioned by the OP to be a fine piece of gear priced right. I sell them for 1100NT or about 30US to my customers. My Atomic regulator failed once but that doesn't make it a crap regulator. My Suunto D6 computer stuck in dive mode right after buying it....are all Suunto computer bad too?

I'm partial to the Suunto M9 wrist compass, it's butt simple, inexpensive, and accurate.

Is that a velcro band? I like the looks of it specifically the low profile and light weight. I have a SK-7 and it's a great compass but rather bulky and I don't feel like I need the high tilt tolerance anymore. As one gains experience one learns to hold it more level and check for locking. I also nav by numbers and don't need the rotating bezel. I assume it's worked fine for you underwater? For that price I could buy 3 for the cost of a SK7.

My SK-7 has started to leak and a bubble is forming so I'll need to get a new one soon. (I bought it used years ago so no dealer replacement)

I've been reading some reports on the Dutch scuba forums about Suunto SK7's the "frooze" in cold water and wouldn't turn anymore. Given teh number of people reporting it, it doesn't seem like an isolated thing.

Anyone else having that kind of thing?

R..

This is the most poor excuse for a navigation tool I've seen, I'm sorry I spent money on it, I'll bring it in to the LDS even though it's over a year old and at least try to convince them not to sell this type anymore. The fact is I'm not that comfortable with my u/w navigation, this thing certainly hasn't been helping me, and I have definitely had it steer me wrong when I looked down too quickly, the needle card was stopped but it was in one of its 30 deg overswings and i didn't watch it long enough to see it start swinging back to north.

Sorry, but that's a Dive Wrong compass. Don't buy one. I've got a DSS SK7 boot/bungee on the way.

I bought one to thinking, hey its Dive Rite it has to be good. Bought it from ST as well. And yes sir it is a peice of *****

First one I got the white face fell off the bronze post inside the thing so it wouldn't turn, I sent it back for a new one and the new one is sluggish as hell, Half the time I don't even know if its pointing north.

Is that a velcro band? I like the looks of it specifically the low profile and light weight. I have a SK-7 and it's a great compass but rather bulky and I don't feel like I need the high tilt tolerance anymore. As one gains experience one learns to hold it more level and check for locking. I also nav by numbers and don't need the rotating bezel. I assume it's worked fine for you underwater? For that price I could buy 3 for the cost of a SK7.
My SK-7 has started to leak and a bubble is forming so I'll need to get a new one soon. (I bought it used years ago so no dealer replacement)

Yes, that's a velcro band. The profile is about like a Casio G-shock. Rather than a rotating bezel, the clear body rotates. Shop around, you can get it for under $30 delivered. About half my dive buddies went back to the SK-7 but half did not :)
I'm not going to say everyone will love it but it works great for me.

From Suunto's description page:
The most unique feature is the sighting window, which allows accurate bearings to be taken. The ratcheting capsule can be turned to set the desired direction. The upper edge of the capsule has grooves for easy turning. The compass disk is graduated in 5 degree intervals, and features 6 second dampening.

I like the option of the sighting window. I have the compass attached to my Cobra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom