Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers 10/23-10/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fellow divers -- my wife and I are leaving for GC next Friday (10/3) and are staying at Cobalt Coast, diving with DiveTech. We'll be there until 10/12. Hope to see some of you!

Dan

The 2 for 1 deal was too good to pass up! My husband and I will be at compass point from Oct. 18-25. Our last dive day will be the 24th, but I'm sure we'll see you. We've been to Compass point 5 times and LOVE it. OF is THE best. I'm traveling now and don't have my log to check dives from last October, but I always wear a 3 mil suit and am comfortable. Great diving any time of year!

The 2 for 1 deal was too good to pass up! My husband and I will be at compass point from Oct. 18-25. Our last dive day will be the 24th, but I'm sure we'll see you. We've been to Compass point 5 times and LOVE it. OF is THE best. I'm traveling now and don't have my log to check dives from last October, but I always wear a 3 mil suit and am comfortable. Great diving any time of year!

I hope you and others post some trip reports when you come back. A fellow diver was bashing Cayman to me this weekend as being overrated. I was really surprised to hear this. I'd love to hear specifics of your trips. In particular I'm curious about Ocean Frontiers and:

1. how many divers are on their boats?
2. do they have a quide leading dives? My wife doesn't trust me to navigate and since I'm looking through a camera lens most of the time I'd rather follow than pay attention where I'm going
3. what is the current/surge/chop situation at the east end?
4. what is the fish life like?

Have fun and good diving!

1. A maximum of 12.

2. Yes.

3. They will avoid sites with current. There is a fair bit of surge at some shallow sites, but it's manageable and kind of fun. The seas can be quite rough.

4. IMHO, not quite as much marine life as on the W side of Grand Cayman, but lots compared to other Caribbean destinations.

Alex,
I love your Tropical Minimalist idea. I had the chance to try a backplate with small wing a few years ago at OF and loved it. (I admired the dive leader's Halcyon setup and asked a few questions. The next day she had one set up for me to try. Just another example of why OF rocks!) Take away the wing and it'd be too cool.

I'll probably be buying a Deap Sea Supply Kydex / Stainless Steel backplate with tropical wing before our next trip and will have to try a dive or two, or three, or four... without the wing. I'm looking forward too earning the Coveted Tropical Minimalist badge!

See ya,
DS

Alex,
I love your Tropical Minimalist idea. I had the chance to try a backplate with small wing a few years ago at OF and loved it. (I admired the dive leader's Halcyon setup and asked a few questions. The next day she had one set up for me to try. Just another example of why OF rocks!) Take away the wing and it'd be too cool.

I'll probably be buying a Deap Sea Supply Kydex / Stainless Steel backplate with tropical wing before our next trip and will have to try a dive or two, or three, or four... without the wing. I'm looking forward too earning the Coveted Tropical Minimalist badge!

See ya,
DS

Good to see we have a prospective Tropical Minimalist convert here! DiveSarge, Ocean Frontiers have never raised an objection to my gear configuration so you should be able to do some minimalist diving there.

I'm checking out the weights of the Deap Sea Supply Kydex plates as we speak. I may need some weight with them, but it won't be much if I do. The SS plate OF let me use left me a bit negative with the wing completely deflated, so the kydex shouldn't be too light, if any.

Do you use a SS plate, or an aluminum one?

DS

I use a SS DiveRite plate (5 lb. negative) and an STA (1 lb. neg.) which is perfect for my weighting requirement. YMMV. You need to try to get the weighting correct to +/- 0.5 lbs., ideally. You can control anything up to +/- 2.0 lbs. away from ideal with just your lungs, but it is a bit more work and increases your air consumption. So, shoot for +/- 0.5 lbs.

Once you get used to controlling buoyancy with just your lungs (and it won't take long), you can tolerate greater deviations - the kind that occur after you have 2 pieces of Key Lime Pie for dessert. :D Go for it!

Hmmm. Key Lime pie, my weakness!

Sounds like I have a bit of experimenting to do. It all seemed so easy to decide before, but now...

With my current BCD I seldom use the inflate/deflate feature; it's just along for the ride, so I'd love to ditch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom