Compass preferences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have my students try all 3 ways wrist, console and retractor so they can determine for themselves which they prefer. Generally they end up with the SK7 on the BCD retractor.

Oh, one more little tangential-to-the-topic question: Can anyone comment on the procedure or difficulty for taking an SK-7 out of the console and putting it into a DSS wrist boot? I'm just wondering about the ring, mainly. How does it come apart, and does it just snap together on the DSS boot?

I have to say that I have struggled with wrist mount. I have SK-7 in a bungee boot and like it on the wrist. However, moving onto drysuit moved the compass higher on the arm because of the seals. I cannot comfortably keep the compass in front of me for longer period. (I feel like I need to pull my left elbow with my right palm to get a steady straight shot because the compass is so far). My arms must have gone stubby on me at some point, I never thought they were...
I used to have compass on retractor. During a dive I would clip it to my scooter ring, from where I liked operating it, smack-middle, nice and far from my face... but a little bit of a dangly... and I always tried to remember unclipping it before getting out of water. Not nice to walk with.

The piece that holds the compass unscrews from the rest of the console (at least with a Suunto, it does). You can then use a pair of wire cutters to snip through the plastic and release the compass (that does ruin the housing). I've also heard that it's possible to remove it using hot water, but that didn't work for me.

piikki:
I have to say that I have struggled with wrist mount. I have SK-7 in a bungee boot and like it on the wrist. However, moving onto drysuit moved the compass higher on the arm because of the seals. I cannot comfortably keep the compass in front of me for longer period. (I feel like I need to pull my left elbow with my right palm to get a steady straight shot because the compass is so far). My arms must have gone stubby on me at some point, I never thought they were...
I used to have compass on retractor. During a dive I would clip it to my scooter ring, from where I liked operating it, smack-middle, nice and far from my face... but a little bit of a dangly... and I always tried to remember unclipping it before getting out of water. Not nice to walk with.
On the scoot is great, my Farallon has a little dash board for just that purpose. For dry suits I think the DSS mount is best, but for wet suits (at least for wet or reef gloves) I like the Sk-6 which can be easily mounted right on the cuff.

ClayJar:
Oh, one more little tangential-to-the-topic question: Can anyone comment on the procedure or difficulty for taking an SK-7 out of the console and putting it into a DSS wrist boot? I'm just wondering about the ring, mainly. How does it come apart, and does it just snap together on the DSS boot?
Mine popped right out. It took two minutes of my time. I've heard others had more difficulty. YMMV.

The DSS boot is great, though.

My wife and I are going to try the wrist mount vs. compass on a board this weekend. She doesn't like the console mount and has some of the issues that Thalas...mentioned, particularly wrestling the console and hose into alignment with her body. She wants to try the wrist method and our LDS suggested the attack board compass and retractor. Because all of these versions cost money, I borrowed a compass from a buddy's console and used wire ties to attach it to a sheet of plastic. I will slide it through a wrist strap so she can try it that way too.

This way we can try the various configurations and then spend money....

For me, a console mounted compass works perfect. It matches how I use a compass for military land-nav. It also keeps me looking forward instead of down. I've never had a use for the luber-line markings (admittedly all luminescent in my land use) unless it's in the pitch black of a moonless night. I much prefer an actual azimuth reading.

The main differences I have found between land and water navigation, is natural "straightness" and points of reference. On land, I can shoot my azimuth, find a landmark, and just walk to the landmark without needing to look at the compass in between. In the water, that's not possible. Also, while swimming, I tend to turn left. I'll veer left almost instantly if I don't have any visual reference. So I have to keep at least one eye glued to the compass to stay straight.

FD

piikki:
I have to say that I have struggled with wrist mount. I have SK-7 in a bungee boot and like it on the wrist. However, moving onto dry suit moved the compass higher on the arm because of the seals. I cannot comfortably keep the compass in front of me for longer period. (I feel like I need to pull my left elbow with my right palm to get a steady straight shot because the compass is so far). My arms must have gone stubby on me at some point, I never thought they were...

I too am having difficulty with my SK-7 in the DSS boot while using my Dry suit. It is workable but not as easy as when wearing my wet suit. I've thought about trying the compass on a retractor clipped to my harness but haven't so far. I didn't know if it would really be easier or not. With technique the wrist mount has not failed me.

I've had the wrist mount, compass on a board & one on a retractor (Genesis). So far the Genesis has been the easiest to get accuracy with for me. I had a couple of entanglements with the board mount and "sticking" issues with the wrist mount, so they're both in the "back-up equipment" box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom