compass-where do you keep yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropitan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I keep my compass on the end of my console, which makes it 'leggy', and is fast becoming annoying. I use it maybe twice during my dives. Is it more convenient to wrist-mount it or put it on a retractor? Thanks.

Wrist mounted is great. It's always there right where you need it, and that means you'll use it more. Mine stays on my left wrist at all times.

I love it on my left wrist where I can glance at it any time, and my buddy might not ever figure out I'm lost. :D

It depends upon the dive. If I am doing a dark water dive or similar dive where navigation may be critical then I have an old Suntuu on a homemade aluminum bungee mount that goes on my wrist.

On some dives I may use my ancient Scuba Pro universal dual console in which case the same compass bungees around the center of the mini universal console.

In most normal, run of the mill dives, I have a one inch diameter compass and it slides on to the rubber band of my Aeris Atomos computer which I wear up on my left forearm and is more than sufficient for reminding me of general directions.

N

I love my SK-7 in my Deep Sea Supply mount on my left wrist. WAY better than the compass on a retractor that I had before.

Wrist-mounted SK-7, worn on my left wrist.

I prefer wrist mounted over console-mounted compasses. I find it easier to bring the compass right up to eye level to take bearings.

Best wishes.

I recently broke my console up. I now wear my computer/depth gauge on my wrist, my SPG is solo, and my compass is retractor mounted on my left shoulder. I love it. When I need to use it, it's convenient. When I don't, it's not there. I like having it on a retractor because I can put it right at eye level to get a reading. I prefer to have it on a retractor because I tend to have a slate on my right arm, my comp on my left, I just like to have everything in its own place.

I have a compass on a slate that has a retractor. I find the slate to be a nice platform to keep the compass squarely in line with my body and the retractor gets it out of my way when not needed.

On most of my usual dive sites my compass is in my head as I have had many dives on each site but I use a compass on a slate on less familior sites so I can make sketch maps of prominent fetures as I go!
Compass use can be great but you can easily lose your direction especially with side currents, I much prefer the natural method of navigation so you rely on your self rather than a piece of equipment. I must state that this natural method only works if you dive each site a lot as I do!

I love my SK-7 in my Deep Sea Supply mount on my left wrist. WAY better than the compass on a retractor that I had before.

My navigation improved ten fold making the same switch as TSandM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom