compass-where do you keep yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in limited vis waters I look at the compass more often than the spg..I keep it on the console,can scan gauges when looking at compass and I hate to wear anything on wrist.Things get hung up when digging or reaching for the lobster.Also less chance of losing it if on console,do not have to remember to pack it in bag at end of day,small chance of forgetting the regulator/console.

A compass board is great for navigation, a wrist mount is better than a console, but if it's in your console, you'll actually take it on every dive. A wrist mount in your bag is pretty much useless.

A wrist mount in your bag is pretty much useless.

A good head-to-toe equipment check takes care of that.

A compass left at HOME, however, is another story . . . Some of my friends just clip the compass and gauge off to their BC when they get out of them, which is a good way to make sure they stay with your gear.

I have a compass on the end of my Suunto Cobra computer as well as one on my wrist (I like the wrist better but have not removed the one from my computer yet).

TSandM:
A good head-to-toe equipment check takes care of that.

Not always. Wrist mounted compasses are often left in the bag because the diver doesn't bother to strap it on, not because it's forgotten.

Not always. Wrist mounted compasses are often left in the bag because the diver doesn't bother to strap it on, not because it's forgotten.

This is mainly an issue of procedure. It's extremely hard to believe that a buddy team will ALL forget their compasses and ALL not notice when reviewing gauges during a full head to toe equipment check.

It's not at all hard to believe that divers not used to doing a head to toe equipment check will forget a compass before getting into the water. But it's possible to forget a number of things this way, from ancillary (compass, SMB, computer, knife) to vital (mask, hood, drysuit zipper). For many, the added utility of having the compass on the wrist outweighs the small possibility of forgetting it on a dive, especially if the compass is considered an essential tool in your diving. Otherwise, I guess we could have every component attached to some retractor on the BC.

Hello, I keep my compass on the end of my console, which makes it 'leggy', and is fast becoming annoying. I use it maybe twice during my dives. Is it more convenient to wrist-mount it or put it on a retractor? Thanks.

I went from wrist('85) to console(in '89 till present)---go figure.....

But my MaMa always said I was a little weird....:)

Sorry you didn't understand what I said. Wrist mounted compasses are often left in the bag because the diver doesn't bother to strap it on, not because it's forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom