Compatability of ATX50 & Titan 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second stage reg would need to be tuned to the IP of the first stage, which can be adjusted as well.

Any reason you're mixing brands?

One of the LDS's took a look at what I was using for an Octopus, and sold me on usings the ATX50 as a safe second, DIR style. He didn't want to make it my main second stage, only a backup. He said it was because the Titan XLS is engineered to work with the Titan primary. This discussion was with the owner of a well respected local shop/ authorized Aqua-Lung & Apeks Dealer. I accepted what he said, but left with some questions on his logic.

I've never owned a combination inflator/octo combination. After using the ATX 50 as an octopus with a bungy around my neck (DIR style), I'm wondering if the Inflator/octopus combination isn't cleaner setup.

I am a new diver, and agree with some DIR ideas, but I don't know about this one. With a backup second stage regulator tied around your neck, I'm wondering if it creates more of a problem if you need to remove your BC in an entanglement situation.

When I was at approx 65 FSW I thought I'd give the ATX 50 a try, to see how it was functioning. It breathed much better than the XLS/Titan setup. I didn't use it for too long, not wanting to loose my regular second stage with that DIR 5' hose and all.

So this left me wondering:

1) Is this a sound setup? I work in a field where only equipment that has been tested and listed as beeing compatible can be used together. Quickly glancing throught the Aqua-Lung owners manual, I have not seen anything addressing this.

2) If it is sound, did my LDS not want to make it my primary second stage because he thinks I might not be inclined to buy an ATX 200 from him, because I'm happy with the way it breathes.

Thanks for any advice or opions...

Greg

There's nothing special about mixing first and second stages of most brands - the first stage couldn't give a care as to what second stages you hook up to it, and the second stage only cares about the intermediate pressure being delivered from the first stage. So as long as they're tuned to each other, there's usually no problem.

Trust your LDS on the bungeed backup - MUCH easier to use than a combined inflator/octo. Been using the bungeed backup for over a year now, and recently rented a reg/BC with the integrated doodad while on vacation. Gave it a try, and after realising that I now had to play with my regulator in my mouth to control buoyancy, switched back to my primary. Most people don't practice their buddy skills enough, and when you're in a high stress situation like sharing air and breathing off your backup, it's not the time to be trying to figure out something basic like how to control your own buoyancy. Muscle memory is a great tool, and if your inflator is now in your mouth instead of your left hand, good luck controlling that buoyancy if you don't practice that skill.

Just make sure your backup is on a 22" or 24" hose depending on your first stage port orientation, and you'll notice it's there. Always give it a test breath at the beginning of each dive, and practice switching between them, and not just on the surface.

The Titan is a good, reliable reg, and the ATX50 is a great, reliable, high performance reg.

Stop by Lowes or Sears and pick up an air tool pressure gauge... the one with the 1/4" fitting and range up to 165psi (200 if you can find one).
They're about $5 or $10.
Get a 1/4" brass coupler from the shelf next to the gauge.
Get some teflon tape.
Stop by the scuba shop and get a 1/4" LPI fitting, or failing that, spend the extra $5 for the Trident "BC hose tire inflator". Remove the tire inflator, and assemble the rest of the parts.

You now have an IP gauge.

Plug it into your BC hose and open the tank valve. If the pressure reads anywhere near 135, you can use the ATX50 as a primary regulator.

You can also use the gauge to tell you when your regulator needs service. If you notice that the pressure has changed, or if you plug in and it starts at 130, but ends up at 140 after a half hour or so, it may be time to have the reg serviced, even if it hasn't yet been a year since the last service.

GSmith once bubbled...
2) If it is sound, did my LDS not want to make it my primary second stage because he thinks I might not be inclined to buy an ATX 200 from him, because I'm happy with the way it breathes.
LOL!!!!
Bingo.
The ATX50 2nd stage is identical to the ATX200 except for the chrome.
Both the Titan and Apeks 1st stages are diaphragm regs, and are PROBABLY quite similar in design.

Still, I'd buy the 200 anyways :D

One good argument for keeping the 50 as your backup is that the cracking adjustment makes it easy to detune on the fly so it won't freeflow when used as a backup, yet makes it equally easy to open up and breathe better than any non-adjustable reg. I run adjustable regs both as primary (100) and backup (50). I keep the 50 cranked all the way in tight, but both the 50 and 100 will blow into a freeflow if I back the adjuster all the way out.

I'll check the pressure on the Titan 1st stage. The DIR style backup regulator is a keeper. It really doesn't make sense to have an inflator/octopus combo does it?
Maybe I'll spring for the ATX 200 next year and use the Titan-ATX 50 combo on a pony bottle.
I'll have to practice doning and adjusting my equipment to get more efficent and comfortable with it.

Greg

GSmith once bubbled...
It really doesn't make sense to have an inflator/octopus combo does it?

I'll have to practice doning and adjusting my equipment to get more efficent and comfortable with it.
I used one while I was learning and using a stab jacket. I dropped it when I went to a plate/wing with the 7' hose and bungeed backup.
The few drills that I did with the combo revealed that buoyancy control was really a pain while the reg was in my mouth... I would not have wanted to use it in a real emergency.

I don't know if my brain has just left me or I have just never heard this before, but when talking regulators what are you meaning by "DIR" style? This is one of those times that I really feel absent minded..!

If I have my facts straight, DIR is the brain child of Jarrod Jablonski. He is the president/ founder of Global Underwater Explorers and the CEO of Halcyon and Extreme Exposure diving equipment.
DIR stands for Do It Right, and on the subject he has put together the book "Do It Right: The fundamentals of Better Diving." It is not too expensive and IMHO has alot of very good info (125 pages/ approx $25). Some other shops in my area consider the DIR method to be a little over zelous. They definetly run on the techie end of the range.
I recenty removed my dive computer and compass from my console. Know I us the computer on my right wrist, and compass on my left wrist. I find it much easier to keep track of things, and maybe reduces my drag a little. When I skimmed through the book, I found this in their recommended setup.

I'm not sure if they are the ones that started the use of the backup regulator bungied around your neck. It does save you from dragging your octopus across the ocean floor because it fell out of it's retainer, again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom