Compatible spare mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roberto Inzerillo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys :)
I'm new to scuba diving and I have my own Apeks XTX50 regulator. It's brand new, so I don't worry too much of any sudden failure at the moment, but I read many divers take a spare mouthpiece in a pouch just in case.

Are the mouhtpieces all the same size? Should I buy a specific Apeks one or is any other Mares/Cressi/Whatever a good alternative?

Cheers.

I'm new to scuba diving and I have my own Apeks XTX50 regulator. It's brand new, so I don't worry too much of any sudden failure at the moment, but I read many divers take a spare mouthpiece in a pouch just in case.

Are the mouhtpieces all the same size? Should I buy a specific Apeks one or is any other Mares/Cressi/Whatever a good alternative?

Cheers.

Mouthpieces are generally interchangeable except for a brand or two I can’t recall. However, if you really like the Apeks Comfobite mouthpiece, get the same for a replacement. I won’t use any others.

Cheers.

Robert...

They're not all the same size...suggest taking your reg set with you when you purchase replacement mouth-pieces...especially if the LDS you select is not an Apeks dealer...

You will also need a small supply of zip ties to secure the replacement mouthpiece and other sub-components where zip ties are used...and a tool to trim off the end of the zip tie after it has been secured...sharp/improperly trimmed zip ties will puncture anything they come into contact with...including the diver...

Some manufacturers like Scuba Pro have a proprietary mouthpiece ''clamp''...with its own latch...unfortunately this mouthpiece will not fit most other brands...

I keep a Zip Tie Gun in my tool box...inexpensive...available from ULine...tightens the zip tie...and cuts the tip off flush...no sharp ends...tightness pressure is adjustable...don't leave home without it...

W.M...

zip tie gun.jpg

Scubapro and Atomic used tiny mouthpiece openings until about 10 years ago and while their mouthpieces can be used on other reg, but not the other way around. They have now gone to what is the "normal" size used by current Aqualung, current Atomics, Deep6, HOG, Dive Rite, etc etc.

Apeks uses a slightly larger than normal mouthpiece opening, but the difference is only 1/8" wider and 1/16" taller than the "normal" one and you can use their mouthpieces on any of the above regulators, but make sure you get the zip tie tight. This is the "standard" size on rebreather DSV/BOV's as well.

Poseidon uses one that is another 1/8" bigger in both directions and their mouthpieces can't be used on anything else. Both the Poseidon BOV and DiveSoft DSV/BOV use this size opening.

The Apeks comfobite is a polarizing mouthpiece. Some people will only dive with them *of which I'm one*, and others can't stand them and prefer "normal" mouthpieces with bite tabs. If you absolutely love it, then get one and keep it as a spare. Downside is they are quite expensive compared to normal mouthpieces.
It does appear that the patent finally ran out YAY! and DGX has generic firm comfobite mouthpieces for $8. This is about half the price of what they normally are. This looks to be the apeks one, not the aqualung one which is awesome. The Aqualung one doesn't have the ribs on the bite plates and I always thought they felt funny. I'll be ordering some of those momentarily

anyway to @Roberto Inzerillo if this is just to keep as a spare in a save a dive kit, just grab one of the $2-$3 cheapies and keep a zip tie with it. It will save the dive. I wouldn't carry a "spare" branded comfobite at $20 because the odds of you biting through it are pretty small

I appreciate all of you for offering such an amount of details on a simple question like this, I'm learning a lot :) Thank you.

if this is just to keep as a spare in a save a dive kit, just grab one of the $2-$3 cheapies and keep a zip tie with it. It will save the dive. I wouldn't carry a "spare" branded comfobite at $20 because the odds of you biting through it are pretty small

At the end of the day, this was the point of my post though; I expected such an outcome anyway and I will keep a spare $3 cheapo (and a zip tie) at hand just for the occasional mishap (that I hope will never happen) on a dive.

I'm not looking for a 100% 1to1 identical mouthpiece; I've already tried a few different mouthpieces and I felt confortable with any of them. So, the question was only meant in order to tackle a possible mouthpiece fail "on the road".

It does appear that the patent finally ran out YAY! and DGX has generic firm comfobite mouthpieces for $8. This is about half the price of what they normally are. This looks to be the apeks one, not the aqualung one which is awesome. The Aqualung one doesn't have the ribs on the bite plates and I always thought they felt funny. I'll be ordering some of those momentarily

I purchased a couple generic comfobite ones a few months back and threw them on my M1 regs. The smoothness was gone, they were quite rough on the bottom.

One of my dive guides chewed threw one of his on his XTX50 and I gave him both of those mouth pieces at the end of the trip, not saying anything about my own roughness experience. A couple hours later he came back to me and made the same comment.

Will be curious to see if you have the same issue.

I purchased a couple generic comfobite ones a few months back and threw them on my M1 regs. The smoothness was gone, they were quite rough on the bottom.

One of my dive guides chewed threw one of his on his XTX50 and I gave him both of those mouth pieces at the end of the trip, not saying anything about my own roughness experience. A couple hours later he came back to me and made the same comment.

Will be curious to see if you have the same issue.

were they these new "stiff" ones or were they the older ones? The older ones sucked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom