Complacency can hit ANYBODY; or why you should NEVER hurry when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical, I think there is some truth to that. Certainly, at the final check during our rundown in the water, I didn't look at my gauge because I "knew" I had already done it.

While I'm not big on dive plans after I enter the water (being a videographer, the random subjects I encounter "plan" my dive unless I have a specific one in mind), I do agree with the need not to rush the pre-dive stuff. I've had "dives" where I've forgotten (1) to put my weight belt on, (2) turn on the LCD inside my housing, (3) bring my dive computers, (4) connect my inflator hose and (5) once even to forget my fins before doing a giant stride.

Since I mostly dive solo, I have to run through my check by myself. That makes it even more important. Most of my mistakes have been when I felt rushed (by me or others). Even living on island time that can happen (although my being "rushed" is more like a relaxing day for mainlanders who have to contend with job stress and freeways).

Thanks for posting this Lynne. Complacency is indeed either Darwin or Murphy at work.

So here's my question for you...

Did you call the dive once you discovered you were diving with a tank that you personally didn't know the mix / pressure on?

Once I had gotten over the "oh sh!t" moment of why I only had 1500 psi, my next concern would be "what the he!! is the mix really?"....

Once I had gotten over the "oh sh!t" moment of why I only had 1500 psi, my next concern would be "what the he!! is the mix really?"....
I can answer that (somewhat). Through the process of elimination, by the fact that she had been breathing it (and staying alive) for at least 15 minutes, she knew there was SOME O2 in it -- thus the only remaining question was -- 100% or something else? Since she knew who had had it filled, she knew he was too cheap to fill a 130 with 100% -- thus the next worst mix would have been 50% -- and she was above the MOD for 50%. Problem solved (sort of!).

May I also add a suggestion?

NEVER trust the tag on a cylinder that has been stored for anytime at all, esp. when mixed in with other tanks. You will never remember if that particular tank had been analyzed by you,Peter, a team mate or in fact anybody at all.....

I've seen that mistake many times.

I can answer that (somewhat). Through the process of elimination, by the fact that she had been breathing it (and staying alive) for at least 15 minutes, she knew there was SOME O2 in it -- thus the only remaining question was -- 100% or something else? Since she knew who had had it filled, she knew he was too cheap to fill a 130 with 100% -- thus the next worst mix would have been 50% -- and she was above the MOD for 50%. Problem solved (sort of!).

bad reasoning Peter. Given the wide variance of O2 tolerance on a given day she could very well have been breathing 80% at that depth for 15 mins without any issues, the stress of finding out she didn't check tank pressure or mix could have easily taken her from quite tolerant to a high PPO2 to not so at all...:shakehead:

I would have thumbed the dive immediately and gone to a known safe gas.

I think the second part of the subject line is most useful: never hurry when diving.

Complacency is something different and clearly with its risks. But hurrying is altogether easier to deal with as a topic. Never ever be rushed by people or events when preparing or getting into the water. I always kit up well before everyone else and breathe my reg (OC) for several mins before every dive. I want to get in to the water in a state of zen, pure relaxed focus. If I feel rushed I will stop everything to adjust to my timeframe. It's too important to not get right.

Checking your gas is just one of those things that you do, always do, and know what you're breathing. Unless I'm missing something I don't understand why the extra 30 seconds checking each tank before you dive is such an overhead.

J

A little change in your routine can lead to problems too. Some months back, Katy and I left the dock in our boat and proceeded out the Mission Bay Channel. You have to go slow in the channel so it's a good time to set up your scuba rigs and check them, as it saves time later on.

As is our custom I drove the boat while Katy set up her rig, and then we switched places so I could set up my rig. I connected everything and checked the tank pressure which was fine. I normally turn the tank valve off at that point, but this one time, I decided to leave the valve on. I have no idea why - just feeling cocky, I guess.

And this one time, there was a teensy, tiny air leak in the inflator hose connection that I could not hear over the engine. And 45 minutes later, once we were anchored, geared up, and ready to jump in, I had only half a tank of air left. It wasn't life threatening, but we only did one dive that day.

And this one time, there was a teensy, tiny air leak in the inflator hose connection that I could not hear over the engine. And 45 minutes later, once we were anchored, geared up, and ready to jump in, I had only half a tank of air left. It wasn't life threatening, but we only did one dive that day.

A half of a tank in 45 minutes is not a small leak but the engine or many other things could conceal the noise. I always turn my tank off after checking it as a means of detecting any leaks.

A half of a tank in 45 minutes is not a small leak but the engine or many other things could conceal the noise. I always turn my tank off after checking it as a means of detecting any leaks.

Ha ha, well, in my pride I did leave something out. Truth is my hearing isn't so good, especially high sounds like hisses - too much time on the flight deck of CVA-67, is what they told me. Plus, the back of the boat is where the 250 Yamaha outboard sits.

Anyway, that's what happened. And the point is that a little insignificant change in my routine is what did it.

Back
Top Bottom