Complete (unofficial) Dutch Springs map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

max_p

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of trying to list directions to all of the items not on the Dutch map.

To quote TTSkipper:

Go down to the Crane which is on the Penninsula side. Follow the crane to the end which is near the Island, take a heading of 170 deg from the Island and start swimming. You will go over what I believe was a road bed which dropps down about 15-20 feet from the bottom you will be following, when the road bed rises up again you should be near the Dynamite Shack. There are a few telephone poles there as well as the bunker.

I like the idea of trying to list directions to all of the items not on the Dutch map.

VT if you see this, did you ever find any of those unmarked cars and get any headings people could use?

TTSkipper

To find 2 dumped cars:
from the chevy car take a 165 deg heading. In about 7 min you should see South wall. At that point the wall slitely bulges towards you. 2 dumped cars are to the right at about 50-60Ft depth by the base of the wall. Hope it helps.

Max P

Can anybody add to this list of unmarked objects? What else is there, that is not marked?

2 dumped cars close to each other
dynamite shack
hole

Near the airplane, southeast of it, there's a huge area of fishes with nests in the weeds - it was an interesting sight of so many circles in the weeds and a fish inside each one. I'd say about 30 ft deep.

There actually is an unofficial map that was made several years ago by an independent diver, showing many items that aren't on the official DS map. I remember an instructor showing me this map/slate during my AOW class. Apparently a local diver took it upon himself to have these maps printed up and was later sued by Dutch Springs. DS was then inspired to put out their own map (the one you find in the DS gift shop now), but it is far less accurate and doesn't show the location of any of the non-buoyed attractions. If I get a copy of the map, I'll pass it along.

J.

If we can get headings from multiple shore points to some of the buoyed items and then get headings from those to the unmarked items I will try to drop everything into Autocad with the general layout from something like terraserver so that we can do some pretty accurate mapping as well as possibly write a little app for wreckvalley.com that will let you put in a start point and put in an end location and figure out the heading. I am willing to undertake this whole thing if people start to help and provide me with the info. This weekend I will start with the basics, get the headings to all of the marked buoys that I can. I will have my laptop and autocad so that I can start figuring out the triangulation and distances to the objects. If people could start to get me the info such as depth and relief of the objects as well as letting me know if you follow the buoy down what part of the wreck it hits that would be great. I will start to compile the DB with all the info and try and start to put the map together. This weekend I will try and decide what shore points I want to use as reference points so that we can get really accurate, essentially by surfacing at each of the unknown items and taking two heading readings to shore points I have determined the location of, we can get a pretty accurate map.

If Dutch has an issue with this I would be more than happy to provide the map to Dutch to use or sell how they wanted. We would not be selling the maps so I do not know if there would be an issue.

TTSkipper

Let me check my log book. I made a map of dutch with headings to and from most of the marked attractions, including some of the unmarked items a couple of years ago. Hopefully, I still have it stashed somewhere.........

Hi all, thanks for such an interest in this matter. I have heard that official map is incomplete, but accurate enough to take compas headings on it. may be this would help TTSkipper to seed his autocad drowing with initial information.
I also marked 2 cars we found by the south wall (top right corner of the map). Location is approximate, but accurate enough to find them again.
http://edge.cs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/peysakhov/DutchSprings.jpg
I do not think Dutch should have a problem with it, since it's all non-commercial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom