"Complete Wreck Diving" (manifold vs independent)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use independent doubles for wreck, and a pony, (and a stage if needed) - all common sense says why.....
I would be interested in the "common sense" which you speak of. Independant doubles will allow 1/2 of your gas to be lost in the case of a regulator malfunction (free flow). This could obviously be problematic if that gas was required for such things as exit from the interior of the wreck, and reaching your deco gas. Also, in order to truly dive 1/3 rds, (which I'll suggest you should in an overhead environment) you would need to breathe one tank to 1/3, then switch to the other tank for 1/3, then, after turning your dive breathe 1/3, then switch back to first reg for 1/3. This is two regulator switches on the bottom, in the wreck etc. Most people who are well-enough trained to increase the complexity of their dives like this, have usually also had the opportunity to embrace the isolator manifold early on in their training. Add a deco bottle and "pony" and you've got your hands full. In my opinion, if the dive needs doubles, then the dive needs an isolator manifold. Of course that said, a buddy is the best "pony" because it has a brain attached to it.
Bests!

Soggy:
Wondering if you got a chance to film this?

hey Soggy,

My students took a little longer to perform skills yesterday, so our lake session ran late, and I had to go back to my shop to sell a couple sets of jet fins:14: .

Remember, it's all about the money:eyebrow:

Seriously though, I have an advanced class with a couple students on tuesday, and they're pretty comfortable in the water, so I will bring out my rig after their skills and film it. I will also take pics of the hose routing for you.

Cheers. :D

Mike

Back
Top Bottom