Completed OW but had some issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter's suggestion of using a snorkel without a mask works well. Both my wife and myself had problems when we first qualified and swimming with just a snorkel (or snorkel and swimming goggles if you prefer) solved the problem. Even now, we often practice swimming like this for 10-15 minutes at a time just to keep in the habit of avoiding breathing in through nose

It just takes practice, apparently she was able to conquer her fears and do the drill. So all she really needs to do is make it part of her routine to practice the drill.

I remember my first time taking my mask off at depth in a quarry, (temp was 50 degrees), the cold water hit my face and my throat ristricted and I couldn't breathe for about 10 - 15 seconds. By being patient and forcing myself to relax, I could breath again. But since that day, I practice that drill when I get into colder waters.

Five months between OW class and first dives is a long time. It will be like learning to dive all over again. You might want to think about using that lake for some dives to keep your skills fresh ... Maybe find a more experienced diver to go with or look at the shop you certified with for a DM for hire. The more you both dive (just for fun), the more comfortable you will become. If all you dive is in a pool, you will be an expert in the pool, but a newbie in open water.

Mastering any scuba skill in four days is completely subjective. The fact that you are diving infrequently will only elevate the issue. Your instructor may have witnessed her doing it comfortably, but that doesn't mean she will master it a week from now as it is still a newly acquired skill.

The question you have to ask is should her mask be dislodged, is she going to panic and bolt to the surface. Doesn't matter if it is cold water or warm water, in a situation that is most likely going to be an accident and happen 'all of a sudden', how is your wife (and you as her buddy) going to react. Accidental mask removal is never a planned event.

Think about all the skills you learned in a non linear way. Why would they teach you these skills -- not just that you are learning them and the respective steps to complete them. Visualize the scenario(s) and how you WILL react to it (them). It could be a scenario as simple as defogging a mask or tearing open a high pressure hose.

Hope this helps,

jcf

shortyjrt:
At some time or another you can bet, some jerk will kick it off your face.

Like most, I had the fear of the mask removal syndrome too. I went to the pool and did a lot of practicing and worked through it.
A couple of weeks ago, while diving off the NJ coast and going up the line, I let a diver pass me on the line (I prefer to ascend very slowly and ascend horizontally). After the diver passed, I moved back over to the line thinking that he was above me far enough. Wrong! He was ascending vertically and his fin caught my mask. Next thing I knew, one lense was on my forehead and the other on my chin. Thank goodness for that extra pool time. While it wasn't the easiest, with 5mm gloves and a heavy hood on, I was able to get everything adjusted and cleared, making my way to my safety stop, then back on the boat. Never discussed it with the offender because in my way of thinking, $hit happens.

So, IMO get her to the pool and work it out. This skill may very well come into play someday.

Having your lady practice in the pool is a great idea. Then for open water, you two should probably head down to warm tropical waters where she will feel more comfortable. Cold water is never fun for a new diver and just contributes to the nervousness. This is why many divers from Canada stick to tropical diving. More experience and drilling that mask removal in the pool and warm waters should do it for your wife.

I worked with my daughter for hours trying to help her with mask removal and clearing. During her class the instructor gave her a few tips, then tossed it into the pool and told her to go get it, put it on and come back (without gear.) She did it and now she thinks she's the cat's meow and hasn't had a problem since.

Pool,pool and more pool.
a little tip that works well on flooding the mask.
most people grab the bottom of the mask
to flood it thus forcing water almost directly into
the nasal cavaity. I had three buddies go thru
ow with me and 2 surface bolted due to this same problem
and never returned. the third I gave this advice to
and it worked like a charm
when flooding the mask for removal
slowly peel it back from the top
not the bottom. this causes the water
to dribble down over your nose
and this create's a natural air pocket in the
nasal passage so no water jets up the nose
try it with her . it works well it's what
helped my wife master the skill:D

I usually exhale through my nose while removing the mask, this floats it right off my face so you don't have that slow leak coming in.. Keeps the surge out of my nose and gets it over with. Then relax with it off and then proceed to get things back together.

Pete

Wow, thanks for all the tips. She's gald to know she's not the only one who's ever struggled with the mask flood. Tuesday we're going to the indoor pool with just our masks and snorkels. We don't need the rest of our gear I think it will help her feel more comfortable. I definitely agree warm clear waters are what's best for her. Plus, not much to see in a cold poor viz lake anyways.

We'll definitely try removing the mask from the top to create the air pocket around the nose that's a good idea. I know she will eventually get used to it. That old saying practice makes perfect really holds ture. I really appreciate the support and tips.

Back
Top Bottom