compressor shutting down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldfindog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a bauer compressor with auto drains they are set to drain approx every 8 mins all of a sudden when the drains open the compressor shuts down immediately-any suggestions -is it maybe as simple as a plugged outlet -thanks

My guess is that you have an electrical short in the auto-drain solenoid. If the solenoid is in the same circut as the mag coil on the motor starter, when the solenoid opens to a dead short, it drops out the mag starter as well. Only way to tell for sure is to replace the auto-drain solenoid. You can measure the resistance across the solenoid, but I have no idea what the value should be, except not infinity.

thanks i,ll give that a try !

Does the compressor restart immediately? Do you have to reset a breaker? There should be a wiring diagram available somewhere. As stated above the solenoid should not be infinity nor should it be a direct connection.

You could disconnect the solenoid and run the compressor for say ten minutes and see what happens. If it makes it through the cycle it is most likely the solenoid.

yes it restarts immediately and runs until the next purge then shutsdown again just like it shutsdown when it reaches my max set pressure (3350 psi) i filled 4 tanks normally before it started shutting down on the fifth tank.

I have a bauer compressor with auto drains they are set to drain approx every 8 mins all of a sudden when the drains open the compressor shuts down immediately-any suggestions -is it maybe as simple as a plugged outlet -thanks

The old Bauer auto drains with the 4 manual drain knobs in the front had a solenoid that would be energized to drain the seperators. If you have this style ADS then it is most likely that the coil has too high of resistance in it and it is creating a voltage drop across the motor starter coil. disconnect the solenoid wires and if it runs great then replace the solenoid.
The new style ADS has a solenoid that energizes to close the drains and de-energizes to drain the system. Check forground fault shorts in the wiring.
ZDD

Back
Top Bottom